We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal in October time

Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
413 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal in October time

Hi there,

Im planning a trip to Nepal in October and so far, there are 3 of us going. We are not sure whether to do it independantly or with a tour company. We like the idea of having other people around, just for the fun-factor.

We have looked at Intrepid tours and some of the 15-20 day tours look really good, because you get to experience so much in a short time. Has anyone used this company? Its a bit pricey though, especially when you add on the cost of flights.

Ive also read lots of good reports about a local Nepali company called Earthbound, who pretty much organise any trip you like.

So, basically we would like to see as much as possible (within reason), do a little trekking, maybe head into Chitwan too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a great itinerary and how might best suit us to do it? Total time in Nepal is probably around 15 days.

Cheers,

Al (Ireland)

Mentioned in this post
Chitwan
Chitwan
4 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,374 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal in October time

How about something like:

Days 1,2: in Kathmandu

Day 3: Fly to Pokhara. Start trekking

Days 4 - 7: Trekking

Day 8: Day off in Pokhara

Day 9: Drive to Trisuli river. p.m. rafting

Day 10: a.m. rafting. p.m. drive to Chitwan

Days 11,12. In Chitwan

Day 13: Drive to Kathmandu

We did a similar trip this October (except that our trek was 12 days and we also had an overnight in Bhaktapur before returning to Kathmandu), all organised by a Nepalese firm - very efficient and cost-effective: send me a Private Message if you want details.

Mentioned in this post
Chitwan
Chitwan
4 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Bhaktapur
Bhaktapur
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal in October time

Alan

Thanks for your reply and your great itinerary suggestion. If you could PM me that would be great, Im really looking forward to hearing about your trip, and any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks again,

Alan

NpjBnk
Level Contributor
287 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal in October time

Hi

Namaste

Sep Oct are main seasons to visit Nepal as the weather is clear and moderate climate and major hindu festivals Dashain (15 days)and Tihar (5Days) fall during these months. this year these festivals starts from 8th Oct to 7th Nov.and few other festivals too. You can ee the culture of Nepal so closely.

What do you mean by 'little trekking'? Is it denoted for short trek of few hours to 2/3days? If short treks, it can be done within the peripheri of Kathmandu valley itself....Visit Pokhara and also experience village homestay of Ghalegaun near it... Chitwan is a good option for safari but try something different too like bardiya NP, Shuklaphanta or Dhorpatan NP or Koshitappu...If you visit chitwan you can also visit Lumbini , birthplace of lord Buddha which is few hours drive.

I guess visiting Shey Phoksundo NP in Dolpa or Rara in Mugu will fulfill your reqiurement of both trekking and watching wildlife.

What about bunzy jumping?

There are a lot to do. I think you should try something non regular and different from other people.

However suggestions from Alayneti is always good She knows a lot about it

Thank you

Edited: 2:26 am, December 27, 2009
Mentioned in this post
Chitwan
Chitwan
4 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal
Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal in October time

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. We have a lot to think about. Im really looking forward to the trip, but it is still a long time away.

Thanks again for your help,

Alan

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nepal in October time

October is a great time, though also one of the "high seasons" for Nepal travel. Howver, as travel is down so much, not likely an issue.

I ahve not take an Intrpid trip, but subscribe and will likely do so in the future, even though I prefer solo travel that I arrange myself. I ahve good confidence in their system. However, my Nepal trips have beendoen by hiring a local guide. I like the flexibility of changing schedule and pace this way. In addition, I learned much more about the different cultures and got experience I think were richer this way.

More than appy to refer my guide if you would like to start email correspondance and check him out. Private message me.

Where are you in Ireland? Love it there, mostly the SW areas.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nepal in October time

Hi K2,

Thanks for your reply.. Decisions, decisions!!!! I would be delighted to receive all info you have, so feel free to send on details of the company/guide you used.

Really looking forward to it!! Hope the trip goes ahead, its still a long time away!

Im currently living in Dublin. Glad you liked your time here. Our weather is the major downfall, but you probably experienced some of that!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
7. Re: Nepal in October time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:33 pm, February 16, 2017
Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nepal in October time

Hi there

We were in Nepal in Oct last year (2009) for 5 weeks. It was amazing. We are heading back there around the same time again this year.. so about the same time as you.

We didnt book through Intrepid or any of those large commercial companies and I wouldnt recommend that either. You just do not need to spend that kind of money. You are best to use local guides and porters and support the local people. Feel free to message me privately and I would be very happy to give you some info on what we did.

By the way, you will love it!

Cheers

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Level Contributor
95 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nepal in October time

Sue

Thanks for your message. At the minute, we (a group of 8) are set to arrive on Oct 3rd into KTM. And, yep,I have been in touch with a local company and have got very reasonable price, a lot less than the big western companies. Really looking forward to it. We should all meet up for a few beers somewhere on route :-)

Alan

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nepal in October time

Hi As you see from my profile I have quite an experience of Nepal, trekking companies and guest houses. There is no need to stay in the Hilton etc. The one I recommend always has hot water which is a bonus!! As for trekking guides I have one in particular who is also a close friend now and has always looked after me well. October is busy but the weather is perfect. I have tried many treks but the Annapurna one is definately the best. My friend would advise you on time schedules etc and best of all he speaks great English!! I am going this year Sept 22 for 2 months and can't wait!! Even if you and friends do "independently" you will still meet others on where you stay enroute - stick to veggie though - much safer!! Let me know if you need any more help email contact nos. etc

Cheers

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Annapurna
Annapurna
7 Reviews
Kathmandu, Nepal