We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oaxaca, Mexico
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Could someone (alanyeti??) please explain how a Birethani-Gandruk return Landrung-Dhampus trek might work? how many days? where to stay over? how difficult is the climb? Also, would like the same kind of breakdown for a Damphus-Sarankot trek? What would be the complete route? how many days? where to stay over? Thank you to everyone who replied, especially alan. when i try to send a private message, i cannot. i get an error message. Thanks.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Hello Xari,

I am sorry that you requested Alanyeti to reply about your questions but I think I am also a little knowledged regarding this questions so that I am giving you a little brief or your questions.

Pokhara - Ghandruk - Landruk - Dhampus

Days: I recoomend you 3 days for this trek like this.

Itineray:

Day 01: Pokhara - Nayapul Drive, Trek to Ghandruk

Day 02: Trek to Landruk (Lunch) - Dhampus

Day 03: Trek to Phedi and Drive to Pokhara

Where to stay?

In Ghandruk I recommend you Gurung Cottage since this lodge looks like traditional Nepalese home with nice views of Mt. Fishtail and has nice garden in the hotel.

How Difficult?

Normally this trek is for older people and for those who have short vacation in Nepal. This trek is normally easy to follow and not so difficult uphill trails.

Itinerary 2 Dhampus Sarankot Trek: 3 days

Pokhara - Sarankot - Dhampus - Pokhara

Itinerary:

Day 01: Drive to Phedi, start trek to Dhampus

Day 02: Trek to Sarankot, Enjoy sunset over Mt. Fishtail

Day 03: Trek to Pokhara

Where to stay?

All lodges are nice and clean, so there are not any special lodge on my mind to recommend you. You can choose and clean and nice one.

How hard?

This one is more easy then Ghandruk - Landruk - Dhampus trek because there are not any uphill trails in this route.

I hope you a very enjoyable holiday in Nepal.

WIth best regards,

Upendra Duwadi

Travel Consutant and Trek Guide

Thamel, Kathmandu

Nepal

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Looking at guideupendra's route suggestion can I add the following: it's a good trek, but my comments would be worth considering if you want to make it a bit more gentle on the knees (and lungs)

Day 01: Pokhara - Nayapul Drive, Trek to Ghandruk

4 - 5 hours trekking, initially along the river valley, then a steep ascent from Syauli Bazaar to Kimche, then less steep ascent to Ghanduk

Day 02: Trek to Landruk (Lunch) - Dhampus.

I think this would add up to a bit of a long day - Landruk to Dhampus is about 4 hours trek - perhaps a bit much for an after lunch stroll ?

Big descent from Ghandruk to the river, then ascent to Landruk (or Landrung - same place, different spelling !) If you are looking to make your trek more relaxed I would suggest that from Ghandruk either you descend via the more northerly path to reach New Bridge (Himal Qu) or take the direct descent to the river, then turn north to reach Himal Qu. The ascent to Landruk from Himal Qu is more gentle than that on the direct route from Ghandruk. You could then stay overnight in Landruk.

Day 3 would then be the 4 hour trek to Dhampus (which includes one significant ascent up to the Nice View Lodge), and either stop at Dhampus or, if you feel up to it, make the descent to Phedi and take a taxi back to Pokhara.

Day 03 (or day 4 if you've stayed overnight in Dhampus!): Trek to Phedi and Drive to Pokhara

As to his second suggestion, I've never trekked to Sarangkot - visited it by hired motorbike (taxi is an alternative !). I am slightly confused though, as Phedi to Dhampus is a fairly steep ascent, and not altogether in the right direction

Australia
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Read the replys and have to respond. I am 55 and have done this trek twice recently. It is one of the easiest treks but it is NOT easy! Terkking in Nepal is down and up all the time. The ups on even the easiest treks are steep. You do puff and pant up them. Some people on this forum make out that it is all easy! BUT I am 55 and have dodgy footy knees and am carrying a bit of weight and I did it twice. It is doable and you will enjoy it but go with the knowledge that you will puff and strain up the steep parts but you have all the time in the world and when you get tired you rest. You will feel great when you finish and you will. Maybe a half hour after the fast guys but you will get to the lodge. And then the evening beer tastes even sweeter. Also the fitter you are the better you will enjoy it. So start training now and you will be fine.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Yeah,

Wonder is right that you should think twice before starting any trip but I do not think that you will have problem on this trek. This trek is so amazing so that you will be enjoying lots of sceneries and you won;t have time to think regarding tiredness.

There is not doubt that you can do think trek easily.

With best regards,

Upendra Duwadi

Travel Consultant and Trek Guide

Thamel, Kathmandu

Nepal

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

Well, almost easily. WONDER is correct - apart from a few places Nepalese trekking is about 'ups and downs', but the route suggested consists of quite short trekking days (i.e. the guide books quote about 4 hours for each day) but there's no need to hurry. As I not very fit with dodgy knees 65 year old I've always trekked with the philosophy of 'Why rush - there's no point in arriving at the day's destination before the end of the day'. Take your time - rest and drink tea at tea-houses, enjoy the views and soak up the atmosphere. It still hurts at times, particularly on the steep bits, but it's well worth it, and it's true that the experience is magical, particularly when viewed through the bottom of a beer glass in the evening.

One modification to the route suggested would be that there is now a trail along the valley from Syauli to Himal Qu: taking this would avoid the climb up to Ghandruk (but would rob you of the great view from Ghandruk, but there are great views all over the area !)

6. Re: 3 Elders' Trek/Followup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:22 am, March 09, 2010