We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

Which Kathmandu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

Am going to Kathmandu in January. Is it worthwhile to stay in Nargakot for a night, or just go for a day trip? Or is there somewhere better to get views of the mountains? Where to stay?? Best to get a taxi, or what? I understand sunrises there are good?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

It wouldn't be worst to stay one night in Nagarkot if your planning will be traveling in January in Nepal.

Its the time of winter so days will be short,better stay there.

It doesn't matter it will be taxi or private care but better if you tell them to stay one overnight because it will be more cheaper for you one taxi to reach there and another one for pick up will be expensive for you.

Yes,you are right,its famous for sunrise and sunset.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

I stayed in Nagakot for a night this January just gone. Unfortunately for us there was cloud & heavy fog the entire time we were up there & we had no view at all.

I'm unsure if this was just when we were there or if its pretty common at that time of year? There was a fair amount of smog sitting in the Kathmandu valley most days, due largely to the amount of generators that were running with the load shedding of power. I'm unsure if this situation will have changed by this coming January?

We stayed at the Hotel View Point and while certainly nothing flash, was comfortable enough for a 1 night stay. Apparently has pretty spectacular views (when you can see!!!).

To get there we hired a driver & car through our trekking company so I can't give you any contact details. I would advise against a bus, they look pretty unsafe.

new zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

thanks for that. Not sure what we will do actually.

4. Re: Nepal in January -should we stay in Nargarkot?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, January 12, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Kathmandu