We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
cheekychico
3 posts
Save Topic
Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi,

Looking for advise and recommendations.

Flying into Kathmandu from India and would like to do short trek through the Kathmandu Valley? Maybe 3-4 days. We will arrive on 15th and fly out on the 21st back to NZ. Is this possible? Any ideas for budget conscious travellers? Would like to try and organise before we fly in December. Any other ideas within this time frame? Aiming to enjoy the Nepalese landscape.

Thanks

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

HI,

Sure,I think you can do short trek in 3-4 days.December is off time for the treks in Nepal so your idea will be excellent just for short treks.

For budget conscious travelers you can find one of the travel agents which will provide you good cost and good service in reasonable price.Also it will be good idea to organize before fly to Kathmandu.

See the private message for more suggestion and information.

Sophy,Canada

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi there,

For sure you will be able to do a short trek. If it's only a trek, and not Nepal sights you want to see. Then I would suggest you head straight to Pokhara actually spend you days there on 2 day trek.

Other wise in KTM just get off you plane get to your hotel and ask them. Get a price and then head into Thamel and price a trek from there knowing your hotels base price. You will end up saving some money that way.

Talk my advice and don't book anything over the internet, it will be seriously more expensive than buying and bargaining in person. It's also very easy to do as people will be falling over themselves to get your business. December is off season so remember to say that when they give you prices. Ask for off season discounts!

BE ware of touts sending you PM's and messages!

You might find the following blog www.thelongestwayhome.com helpful too

All the best

Dave

cheekychico
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi Sophy,

Thanks for your help. I am looking into your suggestions.

Many Thanks

Lisa

cheekychico
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi Dave,

Awesome advice many thanks!Thinking of taking your advice on Kathmandu as want to do a little sightseeing there. Do you think that with our limited time frame we could organise it quickly enough to start trekking the next day? Thanks for the website will absorb myself in it soon. Is it you?

Thanks

Lisa

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi Again,

Yes of course you can do it quick because it is not hard trek,I think you can do more easy.

I found they are so good,best of luck,have nice weekend in Nepal.

Sophy

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi Lisa,

Glad you found the advise helpful, enjoy absorbing the site!

Yes, is the sort answer about heading out on a trek the day after arriving.

The problem you will be faced with is choice. I always have a problem when faced with too many choices. In Kathmandu, Thamel in particular you will be overburdened with trekking agencies, touts, and people trying to sell you things.

A lot of the people on the street work for agency's that are affiliated to larger trekking organizations that actually do the treks.

When you are trying out a few you will notice when you mention about leaving the next day they will get on the phone straight away. Calling other agency's trying to find out if they have a group going out or not.

My advice is for leaving the next day is try to find one with a list right there in front of you. And, only pick out three agency's. Otherwise you'll easily spend a day or two just going in and out of agency's and miss out on Kathmandu, which would be a shame as there's so much to do there.

Remember December is off season! Bargain for a better price. Bluff, and tell them you are spending the day looking for the best price. They'll soon offer of a discount.

Hope this helps some more, and beware of touts sending you PM's here ;-)

All the best

Dave

7. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 pm, November 20, 2008
Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

Hi Lisa again,

I agree with Dave but more agree with michelle.I also found there were many more people in the street and they were bargaining with foreigners so better way to book before arrival in airport.

Not also we can find good rate in the Thamel but also we can find good price through internet.My intention to provide all this just for help of my past experience not more others.One thing if buy in partial of your packege it will be more expesive.If you want to get resonable price you have to contact in one agency and tell them for complete packege program like transportation,accomodation,and other activities what you want.

Cheers,have a nice trek.

Sophy from Canada.

London
Level Contributor
51 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

In a completely "unrelated" topic.

Beware of online scams and touts.

Look out for people pushing one particular way over another. Spelling /Grammar mistakes that are not indicative from the country profile they state they are from. Likewise brand new posters who suddenly hop on with similar traits as just mentioned.

Look on someone's past posting history can bring up a lot of information if someone is continuously pushing for one thing or another. Likewise when they PM you with suggestions.

Most non touts will PM you. While non touting honest folks offering their advice may offer the original poster to PM them for a suggestion.

Likewise when IP addresses are tracked by admins on tripadvisor, they can see who's posting from the same location. So if anyone suspects a tout on an online forum. Don't be afraid to his the report them button.

Dave

10. Re: Kathmandu Valley Trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, October 11, 2009