We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Beijing, China
11 posts
Save Topic
EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Hi all,

Wondering about this idea as we will be spending the night in Lukla.

If we wake early on our Base Camp trek and give ourselves plenty of time, is it possible/ advisable to trek to Namache directly without a stop in between?

How will this effect acclimatization? Is it too long?

We're reasonably fit, will take diamox, and have a bit of experience at altitude (completed Kilimanjaro last year without any issues, for ex.).

Thanks for any tips.

10 replies to this topic
Cumbria
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

The first question that springs to mind is why would you want to spend your first night at Lukla ?? – Most flights are in the morning and the ones with the best chance of flying leave the earliest !!

But – To answer your question, there is nothing stopping you trekking from Lukla direct to Namche Bazaar from a safety aspect – BUT – It would be a Long Hard day and take around 8 hours of actual walking.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https:/…

Rob

PS – Diamox – Although I always take a few tabs with me just in case, this is something that I wouldn’t take myself as an aid to acclimatization, instead I would recommend proper acclimatization

Beijing, China
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Thanks for the reply.

We're coming into Nepal on a long flight, so will spend a couple of nights resting up and getting adjusted. Lukla as opposed to an extra night in Kathmandu makes sense to us in case of delays to flights, and we can use it as a scratch day if flights happen not to take off at all. All being well, we will have plenty of time to explore other areas of Nepal and the capital after we finish the trek. And yes, we'll follow a standard 12 day timetable for EBC with a couple of rest days built in for altitude, so were just wondering whether we need to be too careful before Namache.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,992 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Lukla is not that nice. Well, i don't like Phakding either (except for the groups or people who stay in theupmarket lodges). But there are lodges in more beautiful and quieter locations along the Lukla Jorsale trail. Benkar for instance.

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,518 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

We have walked several times from Lukla, or Chheplung, to Namche in one day, even straight from the flight. So it is possible, even if somewhat tough for the average trekkers fresh from the plane.

As the flights arrive in the morning I also see absolutely no reason to stay in Lukla for the night, really not much happening there and the views are not all that spectacular either. There is no acclimatisation advantage either, as Lukla is only slightly higher than the villages on the way. So why not hike half way to Namche and make the next day much easier?

If you had no issues on Kilimanjaro, stay off Diamox unless you start to get symptoms higher up.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,198 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Hi

I would also move on from Lukla if you feel like it. Even if you just head down from Lukla to one of villages before Phakding - Chaurikharka, Chheplung, Ghat - it will shorten the following day and there are some smaller lodges that are usually bypassed by trekkers (particularly large groups) and can be very friendly.

scoodly

Beijing, China
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is much appreciated!

We'll search around for a bit more info. As we've got a 24 hour, round-about flight into Nepal, our first 2 days are gonna be spent sleeping/ reading/ eating/ and little else, which is why it doesn't matter too much to us whether that is Lukla or Kathmandu. However, some of the smaller lodges a bit further on might be an option.

All of this will be moot if the plane is delayed or canceled anyway.

Thanks again all.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

12 days possibly too fast ("standard" itinerary with only 2 rest days - - Namche and Dingboche - - is old standard and shown to result in significant AMS in many trekkers with result that some must turn back before goal, or worse.)

Do you have extra days at end in case of flight cancellations?

Finally, agree with all the above: don't stay 1st night in Lukla (you may indeed get too much of Lukla at end...); at least walk short distance (down, easy) to Chaurikharka.

Edited: 11:53 am, December 13, 2017
San Diego...
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

To OP, did you purchase a late flight from Kathmandu to Lukla? From what I am told, late flights have much higher chance of getting cancelled if the weather does not cooperate. Also some airlines (e.g. Tara) will accommodate ticket holders to the same day flights before those with tickets to flights that were cancelled on prior days, as a result people with late flights may get stuck much longer if bad weather is encountered on consecutive days.

As much as you probably do not want to stay in Kathmandu (that's the impression I got from your post but apologize if wrong),you may end up getting stuck at the airport.. Therefore it would seem more sensible to stay overnight in Kathmandu and grab the earliest morning flight you can to Lukla.

Nepal
Level Contributor
406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

Yes, you can trek from Lukla to Namche in a day but it wont be a good idea, as it's always good to hike from Lukla to Phakding or Monjo and then next day trek to Namche so that you will have a better acclimatization altitude wise as when you are trekking, it always says trek high sleep low which is the key word for successful trek. There wont be any problem getting down from Namche to Lukla in a day as it wont affect much.

Brgds,

Dipen Pradhan

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?

12 days is only "standard" because agencies persist with this schedule. It is (at least) one day shorter/faster than altitude experts recommend.

FYI: I did this 12-day schedule on my first trek, a group trek, back in 1990. Approximately ONE-THIRD OF GROUP had to turn around before Kala Pattar due to problems with altitude.

Add a day (or more) UP HIGH (not Lukla) and be more certain, safer, and more comfortable on your trek.

Edited: 12:32 pm, December 25, 2017
Reply to: EBC Trek - Lukla direct to Namache?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted