We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Corona, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend, and I are planning a trip to Nepal April/May of 2018. Our current game plan is to spend two nights in Kathmandu to adjust to the time change. Head over to Annapurna for three days worth of hiking, and a couple days in Chitwan, then back to Kathmandu to head home.

How is the weather for these areas during this time of the year?

How easy is it to get domestic flights to and from these areas, or should we stick to the bus system?

Any specific routes recommended for three days on the Annapurna?

Any general recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you all...

18 replies to this topic
British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
106 reviews
1. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

An awful lot of traveling for only 7-9 days in Nepal. Moreover, really too short to visit Kathmandu, Pokhara, Chitwan AND 3 days trekking. (And 3 day trek in Annapurnas is very limited: basically up and straight back down Poon Hill.) I hope this 7-9 day trip is not all the way from North America and back!

Increase your time or cut something.

Edited: 11:34 pm, September 25, 2017
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
206 posts
48 reviews
2. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Hi, welcome in Kathmandu Nepal.

Sounds great you are traveling in Nepal at April / May 2018. It is the second best time of the year.

Regarding to your interesting to travel in Annapurna, for three days please have look at following itinerary.

you can fly to Pokhara and take a car to Nayapool and jeep to Ullery over night at guest house.---Day one

Trek to Ghorepani and explire over night at Guest house..................................................................Day Two.

Early morning hike to Poon Hill (View point) look around 360 degrees view of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri and Manaslu Himalayas range and turn back Ullery and catcha jeep drive to Pokhara. -----Day Three.

and also you can go to Chitwan national park for another two nights.

Thank you, Enjoy your trip in Nepal Himalayas.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

I would prefer to spend more time on the Annapurna more than anything else. Would you recommend spending more time in Kathmandu, or Chitwan if you were to cut one out?

Edited: 11:42 pm, September 25, 2017
4. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 am, September 26, 2017

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
106 reviews
5. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Cut Chitwan.

Kathmandu and Kathmandu Valley is remarkable and worth a week in itself.

3-4 nights (4-5 days) can give you a decent (albeit short) trek. Either Poon Hill-Tadapani-Ghandruk or Mohare Dande trek.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
206 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Have look here

it is total days in Nepal for Annapurna trekking.

Day 01: Arrive at Tribhuban International Airport (TIA) (1345meters).Drop to Hotel, Over night at Hotel.

Day 02: Drive by Tourist bus to Pokhara.Over night at Hotel.

Day 03: Car Drive an hour to Nayapul and trek to Tikhedunga.Over night at Guest house or hotel.

Day 04: Trek to Ghorepani, (2800meters) 5-6 hrs. Over night at Guest house or hotel.

Day 05: Trek to Tadapani, (2650meters) 5-6 hrs. Over night at Guest house or hotel.

Day 06: Trek to Ghandruk, 1940m 3 hrs. Over night at Guest house or hotel.

Day 07: Trek to Nayapul 1070m and drive to Pokhara. Over night at hotel.

Day 08: Sightseeing around Pokhara.Over night at Guest hotel.

Day 09: Tourist bus drive back to Kathmandu.Over night at Guest hotel

Day 10: Transfer to Airport for your sweet home

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
61 reviews
7. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Hi,

I suggest you drop Chitwan and start your trip in Pokhara. That is, arrive in Kathmandu, be amazed, impressed, shell-shocked and then get on a flight to Pokhara the next morning. You'll find Pokhara a far more gentle introduction to Nepal. Hike up to Poonhill or the loop via Ghandruk, relax along the lake or go paragliding or bungy jumping then take the bus or fly back to Kathmandu for the last two days of your trip. There is lots to see and you don't have much time.

Eric

My Nepal Pages https://wanderingeric.org/category/nepal/

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
14,616 posts
56 reviews
8. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

Hi

At the risk of repetition, I would cut Chitwan too; it's a lot of time travelling (or expense) during a short trip with much better things to do with the time in my view. As Landfall and Eric have said, KTM and the valley is fascinating and more time for the trek means a route where you do not retrace your steps.

This map shows the trails to Poon Hill:

…umbra.cz/img/map/Annapurna_1_125000_150_dpi…

There are other short treks in the Annapurna area including Panchase which can be done in three days without retracing steps. It has the advantage of being much quitter than PH which is the most popular short trek in Nepal and will have huge numbers watching the sunrise and, as a minor benefit, does nto require you to pay for permits. Panchase hill has a similar viewing angle but is more distant.

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
25 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

If you are planning to travel Nepal in April / May, I would advise you for a 3-4 day hiking to Ghorepani - Poon Hill (nearer Pokhara) to see the rhododendron flowers and the close up view of Annapurna Himalaya range. Then spend 2 nights in Chitwan National Park doing some jungle activities such as elephant back safari, jungle walk etc..

To save time and a hectic long journey traveling by bus, I would advise to take a flight from Kathmandu to Pokhara (30 minute) and car transfer from Pokhara to Chitwan and then to Kathmandu.

The weather will be fairly good in April / May.

Oakville, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
10. Re: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018

I may be planning a similar but longer trip Feb 26 to March 11. I would like to get your opinion on whether or not that's a good time to go.

Reply to: Trip to Nepal April/May 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted