We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

Hi!

I'll be heading for the EBC/Gokyo trek in slightly over a week and I would like to know which shops in Kathmandu would you recommend for renting a down jacket and a down sleeping bag? It would be great if it is in the Thamel area but anywhere in Kathmandu is fine with me as well!

Oh and another question, I understand that there would be little or no snow on the trek at this time of the year though there might be some on the Cho La pass and and possibly at Gorak Shep. Has anyone done the trek recently and how much (depth) snow can I expect on the Cho La pass at this time of the year?

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
271 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

My husband and I are doing EBC in the fall. We had briefly considered renting sleeping bags but have decided not to. I read another posting in this forum about someone getting bedbug bites/rash from a rented bag. My other issue is that these bags are being used by lots of people who have probably not showered for days and the bags are not likely cleaned or sanitized between uses. We decided just for hygienic reasons not to rent sleeping bags. Down jackets are another story because they are worn as an outer layer.

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

Hello,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Nepal!

There are plenty of trekking gear shops in Kathmandu, specially in Thamel. You can visit one of the shops and ask if they have sleeping bags and down jackets to hire. Most shops have similar quality gears to hire so there won't be much difference. It will cost less than US$ 1 per day to hire one. Check the sleeping bags and down jackets if they are clean and on good condition [specially the zip].

Cho La must have some snow but not sure about Gorakshep. I haven't been there recently so not sure about the level.

Good Luck!

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

Hello,

You can try Family Trekking Shop in Thamel. When you walk towards Hotel Samsara, Hotel Kumari, A1 Business Complex etc. from Narshing Chowk AKA Thamel Chowk you will see the shop on your left side. You can also try Kalapatthar Trekking shop in Sat Ghumti.

Good Luck!

R K
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
116 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

Try Shona's shop. I've rented from them a few times (down bags/jackets/mats). Their rates are good, their gear is great, and their stuff is always clean. The folks there are are also great to ask for advice and are super honest (more than once they've told me I didn't need something I was about to buy/rent). They really will take care of you there.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
246 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

We rented sleeping bags in Kathmandu - Thamel area - brought there by our guide. The bags were clean, but we had purchased liners in the USA and brought them with us. It added a bit extra warmth for our November 2013 trek as well as a barrier to the sleeping bag itself. We were very glad we did this!

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

You can get silk sleeping bag liners in Kathmandu for about $15 if my memory serves, 75% less than in the West.

7. Re: Renting down jacket and sleeping bag in Kathmandu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 14, 2015