We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is best in Nepal in September?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Where is best in Nepal in September?

Hi All

I'm planning on traveling to Nepal in September. What would be the best trek to do (without a guide) for between 1 and 2 weeks where it's not too crowded? And on a cheap budget.

Thanks!

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

so you have no money and want to wander around the mountains for a couple of weeks with no guide during the monsoon

well good luck with that

probably just get a one way ticket as not much chance of needing a return

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

Hello,

September is not good time to visit Nepal as monsoon will be still affecting in some places. However, if you try Jomsom to Muktinath walk that will be less affected by monsoon as this area lies in rain shadow area. But the thing is you will need to fly to Jomsom before starting the trek which will make your budget little higher. There are other treks that will fit your time frame however they will be more affected by rain.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

As already mentioned, September isn’t the ideal time to go trekking in Nepal – Although the main monsoon will have ended, these last few years the tail end has dragged on right through September making it quite a wet month – People still go trekking, but nothing like as many as in the main October / November Trekking Season.

The next thing worth mentioning is that if you aren’t taking any trekking staff, then for your own personal safety you should find yourself a trek-mate – Small problems can soon become big ones on the trails in Nepal and to travel alone isn’t sensible !!

Finally the trek – As long as you go well prepared for some wet weather then Langtang might be a good option for you, it is the quietest of the three main teahouse trekking regions, accessible by local bus, so not a budget breaker and if you are enjoying the trek it can be combined with Helambu

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

My Nepal Blog members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/6ec/

Surrey.
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

I have only been in Nepal once in Sept, and that was way back in 1994 - we went to Lake Rara, which is a little visited, but beautiful though very basic area, but I think you need a guide nowadays. The weather that time was excellent, though Ktm had some spells of heavy rain when I first arrived.

From what my guide has said, Sept more recently has had some very mixed weather - in the past 3 years, he has done some of the high passes in the Everest region, but he has encountered heavy snow (though he has got over some passes), but other years he seems to have had quite good weather, even to EBC.

As above Langtang would be a good option, and I certainly also would advise people to trek with someone else. As well as the fact that 2 or so solo trekekrs seem to disappear every year in Nepal (for no obvious reason), the biggest risk, I think, is if someone gets seriously ill (serious viral infection, really bad stomach), broken leg (very rare, but it happens), or AMS, then they will be completely dependent on others - you won't get far with a broken leg. It should be fairly easy in Sept to link up with other indy trekkers - this worked very well for me in Oct 2005, but not in April 2008 (fewer people around) despite doing the same trek both times (Annapurna Circuit and base camp). Langtang is popular, but should not be too busy in Sept, though a lot of people from China are now trekking in Nepal.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

Thank you all for your comments, recommendations and suggestions. Some websites say September is ok but from your experiences it may still be fairly wet so I'll have to think about what I want to do. And I will be traveling with my partner so will definitely have a trekking buddy.

Cheers!!

6. Re: Where is best in Nepal in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 19, 2015