We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Camping trek in Nepal with young children

What area would you recommend for a camping trek with young children (4 and 7 years old)?

We did a 10 day camping trek in the Annapurna area earlier this year and enjoyed it very much and would now like to try a new area.

The children are "experienced" trekkers (we did the Alta Via 1 hike in the Dolomites with them in July and the Annapurna trek in March).

The four year old will be carried in a back pack part of the time.

We will have up to 15 days available for the trek.

We will be using an UK operator to organise the trip and would like to do it as a private guided camping trek.

kathmandu
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Nice to know that you are having family trekking holidays in Nepal in Nov 13.sikles, panchase or royal trek, combine with the rafting and jungle safari would be great. family trekking packages are described and well optioned in local companies as well but Britons like the agent that I know for sure.

Denmark
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Langtang could be a good option maybe?

You are no interested in tea-house trekking, which is both easier and cheaper. And I would think also much more fun for your kids?

But why are you using a UK based operator instead of a Nepal based?

Due to the Laws in Nepal, foreign agents have to subcontract with Nepali agents, so there are a good amount of Money to save if you just cut the middleman and book directly. You will end up having the same - or even better - experience to a much lower Price.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Agree with Lisbeth – Langtang is the obvious choice as this can be combined with Helambu to make your trek fit your available timeframe – This has the additional benefit of then only having one long journey to the trailhead at Besi Sahara as the Helambu Trek can end at Sundarijal which is on the outskirts of Kathmandu.

This Downloadable Langtang Trekking Map will give you a better idea of what I am on about ;-)

natssul.com/howasia/…map-langtang3000.jpg

Also, Like Lisbeth said, Why use a UK Operator as they will only sub contract a local outfit and then charge you handsomely for the privilege !! – You have already been to Nepal once, so will have a fair idea of how things work – So cut out that middleman, save a Lot of money without any reduction is service, and more importantly, the money you spend then stays in Nepal which needs it even more than the UK :-)

Good Luck and Happy Safe Travels

Rob

PS – You might also find this link useful

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/20087b/

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Thank you very much for the feedback you provided on my initial posting.

I am now through a very busy period and are spending the Christmas days planning our vacation to Nepal in April 2014.

Based on your feedback, I have looked further into the possibility of doing a trek in the Langtang area. Moreover, I am considering a trek in the Everest area.

Having discussed various possibilities with tour operators, I am currently considering the following three options:

1) Tamang Heritage/ Langtang

2) Jiri-Namche-above Namche - Lukla

3) Everest Arun Valley Trek

I have been able to do a lot of reading about option 1 and 2 and are more uncertain about option 3.

In many ways, the Tamang Heritage/Langtang trek seems to be a good option. As I see it, the only major drawback is that you will have to spend two full days driving (back and forth from the trail head), which for us is far from optimal with young children. A way to partly solve this issue could be to combine the trek with the Gosainkund trek and walk most of the way back to Kathmandu. However, we have been advised that the Laurebina La pass is not advisable with young children, as the weather can be harsh and due to the altitude. I tend to agree on the altitude part as I prefer not to take the children above 4,000 metro. By the way, I have also considered whether we could do part of the Gosainkund trek but turn around before the pass and then end the trek in Dunche as opposed to Syabru Besi.

The Jiri-Namche - above Namche - Lukla trek sounds interesting to me (we will be driving to Jiri and flying out of Lukla). However, I am aware that most people fly into Lukla and is therefore uncertain as to whether this should be seen as an indication of the Jiri - Lukla part of trek not being interesting? I certainly see the first part of the trek as being a good way to get used to the elevation which would allow us to spend some days between 3,500 - 4000 meters at the end of the trek without having to worry to much about the elevation. The argument we have been met with a number of times is of course that we should not go to the Everest area before the children is older and then go all the way to base camp and/or do some of the some of the passes. I understand this argument but on the other nothing prevent us from doing trip now as well as a later trip when the children is older.

I see the Arun Valley trek as an alternative to the Jiri trek. However, apart from the advantage of being able to fly in to to the trailhead, I am not sure what the good arguments are of doing the Arun valley trek as opposed to the Jiri trek.

Any views of pros and cons of doing the Tamang Heritage trail/Langtang trek versus the Jiri or Arun Valley trek?

I have included the proposed itineraries below:

Option One : Taman Heritage/Langtang

Day 1 – Arrive in Kathmandu

Day 2 – Drive to Syabru Besi

Day 3 – To Gatlang 2238m

Day 4 – To Tatopani 2607m

Day 5 – Rest Day

Day 6 – To Nagthali 3165m

Day 7 – To Thuman 2338m

Day 8 – To Briddim 2239m

Day 9 – To Lama Hotel 2470m

Day 10 – To Langtang 3420m

Day 11 – To Kyangjing Gompa 3780m

Day 12 - Rest day/Day walks from Kyangjing Gompa

Day 13 – To Lama Hotel 2470m

Day 14 – To Syabru Besi

Day 15 – To Kathmandu

Day 16 – In Kathmandu

Day 17 – Trip Concludes.

Option Two – Jiri – Namche – Lukla

Day 1 – Arrive in Kathmandu

Day 2 - Drive to Shivalaya Approx 9 hrs

Day 3 - Trek to Bhandar Approx 6 to 7 hrs

Day 4 - Trek to Sete Approx 6 to 7 hrs

Day 5 - Trek to Junbesi Approx 5 to 6 hrs

Day 6 - Trek to Tak Shindu Approx 5 to 6 hrs

Day 7 - Trek to Kharikhola Approx 6 to 7 hrs

Day 8 - Trek to Puiyan Approx 6 to 7 hrs

Day 9 - Trek to Ghat Approx 5 to 6 hrs

Day 10 – Trek to Monjo Approx. 4-5 hrs

Day 11 – Trek to Namche Approx. 3-4 hrs

Day 12 - 14 – Above Namche

Day 15 – Trek to Ghat. Approx. 5-6 hours

Day 16 – To Lukla. Approx. 2-3 hrs.

Day 17 – Fly to Kathmandu

Day 18 – In Kathmandu

Day 19 – Trip concludes.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,916 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

Hi

Some thoughts about AMS:

Children are probably not more susceptible to AMS than adults so with an acclimatisation schedule within the guidelines, a knowledge of the symptoms and what to do could make crossing the Laurebina La at 4600m an option. The lodges at Gosainkund are at about 4400m so an extra 200m followed by a fairly quick descent once over the pass which avoids the long road trip - Sundarijal to KTM is 45 minutes or so by taxi. The issue with young children is their ability to communicate how they are feeling. Some info from CIWEC a respected clinic in KTM:

ciwec-clinic.com/health-information/…

scoodly

6. Re: Camping trek in Nepal with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 29, 2014