We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

I will be in Kathmandu in early April 2014 for a total of 10 days. This will be my first time there. I would like any recommendation for a 4-6 day trek which will be scenic. I like to see the villages, tea houses, monastery and the locals. Scenery would be nice but I have hiked in Yosemeti , Banff and other National Parks. I am well conditioned so any degree of trekking would be fine.

Hoping it will be easily accessible from KTM.

Would you recommend I join a tour group when I arrive or do so before arrival? Or could it be done solo?

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

I would suggest you 5 days Ghorepani Trek.

Here is the Itinerary for you.

1) Arrive in Kathmandu

2) sight seeing in Kathmandu

3) Drive/fly to Pokhara

4) Drive to Nayapul and walk to Tikhedunga

5) Trek to Ghorepani from Tikhedhunga

6) early morning go to Poon hill and see nice mountain panorama and come back to hotel the continue to Tadapani

7) Trek to Berithati Via Ghandruk and drive to Pokhara

8) Sight seeing in Pokhara

9) drive/fly back to Kathmandu

10) fly back to home.

good luck

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Although there is nothing wrong with the above Standard Poon Hill itinerary, it doesn’t even come close to what you have asked for as it isn’t easily accessible from Kathmandu (The trailhead is a days travel each way away), there are no monasteries (that I recall) and the villages that you pass through are more clusters of lodges than ones where you would experience real Nepali life.

In my own view, The shortened Helambu Circuit fits your bill far better.

Details hare

members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/20a145/

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

PS – I will reply to your PM with the other details you requested later today

Bhaktapur, Nepal
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Helambu trek , chasapani trek or ktm valley trek. Please ask if you need itinerary. Otherwise you can Google to these three treks.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

I dont agree with #2 post because the question is for 5 days trekking so with in 5 days Itinerary can you tell me which trek can you do in Landtang region with good view?

good luck anyway

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

If you are looking for 5 days trekking [trekking only] then I would personally go for Poon Hill Trek though there is nothing wrong with Helambu Trek as Rob suggested. I have done both treks myself and personally think that Ghorepani Trek is more scenic. Helambu Trek is more like a village trekking.

Good Luck!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

The trek that I suggested, the shortened Helambu loop is 5 or 5 ½ days – Details are on the link that I posted. – Great views from Kutumsang to name one place – Pics also on the link.

However, I misread the reply in #1 and didn’t realise that he was including Tadopani and Ghandruk, both of which are beautiful villages – Tadopani also has a nice temple above the village.

But still a long way from Kathmandu and the OP was asking for treks closer to there.

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Hi Jane

There a number of 4 - 6 day treks that meet your criteria to a greater or lesser extent, depending I think on what you mean by scenic. Close-up views of the big white ones are hard to get on such a short trek (in my opinion) but I would also say the views of and from from the middle hills are great too. Some suggestions:

A Poon Hill variant - there are a number of route options and itineraries. It can be done as a there-and-back trek in 2 days if fit, enthusiastic and needs must. a 4 day (Pok to Pok) circular route is popular giving some time to get to and from KTM. The views from PH and Tadapani are quite good; many people climb to PH for sunrise. As well as the 'lodge clusters', existing only for trekkers, there are some interesting villages. Gandruk and Landruk stand out for me and, iirc, there gompas in each - small shrine/prayer/meditation rooms looked after by a few monks - rather than large communities of monks. If this is one you are interested in, more info on routes and itineraries if you wish.

The Helambu Circuit is another possibilty and the full route can be done in 6 days by the fit and enthusiastic - there is quite a bit of up and down. It reduces the time (and cost) of travelling to Pokhara for PH - it's only an hour so by bus, 45 minutes by taxi from KTM to the start at Sundarijal and a scheduled 4/5 hours back from Melamchi Pul. It passes through interesting villages; mostly Hindu culture lower down and Yolmo Shepra higher up with good gompas at Malemchigaon, Tarkeghyang and Sermathang. There also shortened versions (one detailed above) and, basically, one can drop down into the valley from various points on the western ridge. HC is not the busiest trek so the villages could be said to be more 'authentic' and the valley bottom The views of the big white things are not the best but the views are still great (I think). The tea houses are more basic than PH and it's easy to find ones that are more like homestays.

Treks on the KTM valley meet the accessibilty criteria (commonly starting from Sundarijal) and have distant views of the himalayas from Nagarkot and Dhulikhel (both popular for over nights from KTM). One advantage of trekking the vallley rim is the option to trek back to Bhaktapur. Tea houses are available along with larger, more expensive hotels.

There are other options too, for example, the Pnachese trek (starting from Pok) could meet the criteria apart from monasteries (afaik); similar views to PH but more distant, much lees popular than PH so the accommodation is more basic.

Lots of choice...

scoodly

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
10,946 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Forgot the group/solo question:

Solo trekking is more flexible form of trekking than joining a ready-made group. On a tight schedule it is hard to find a group departing when you want/need to. Joining a group means a fixed itinerary too; taking the HC as an example, you might decide part way through the trek that you want to trek faster or slower than the group or shorten it (for whatever reason) and drop down into the valley - without the services of the guide or porter you have paid for.Trekking with a guide or porter;nuide hired on a daily rate is a much more flexible option.

Trekking solo is possible from a practical point of view (finding the right trail, arranging accommodation) and allowed by the regulations and many people do trek alone successfully. However, trekking completelyy alone is not recommended (in my view) from a safety point of view; the consequences of a turned ankle or gastro problem can be much worse when alone. Security needs to be considered too; although incidents are rare, attacks on lone trekkers can occur.

Joining a group or hiring a guide are not the only solutions though; finding other independents to trek with is possible either for the whole trek or for a day or two, hours ven. Plenty of trekkers on PH in April to meet on the way but it's also possible to find buddies in advance.

If the preference is to join a group with such a time scale, I suggest booking in advance rather than trawling the streets of KTM or Pokhara in the hope of finding a group. If trekking independently then there is little need to do anything in advance - getting the necessary pieces of paper (if any) and arranging buses/taxis/flights can be done when there.

scoodly

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

Yes i agree now its little bit far a way from Kathmandu if i compare with Langtang valley.

Good Luck

10. Re: Please recommend a scenic short trek (5 days for April)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 27, 2014