We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

Macau, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

My boyfriend and I have just booked last minute tickets to Kathmandu. ( due to a dodgy travel agent taking and disappearing with our money for a well planned Tibet trip)

We want to see as much as possible but only have 6 days there. We are planning a mountain flight, and if possible a trip to Pokhara.

As its last minute and we have a friends wedding this week to get organized for ( my boyfriend is best man) we don't have much for planning.

I want to ask advice from those who have travelled there so wee don't miss out. We are interested in trekking, embracing the culture, and getting the most out of the experience as possible. We a currently living in south china so jet lag shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for any help and advice!!

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,990 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

As you already know, six days for Nepal is very short, especially if you want to fit in a short trek – I am assuming you are departing this month, so the weather will be deteriorating with pre-monsoon rains that have to be taken into consideration

Maybe you could do something like this

Day 1 – Arrive Kathmandu, settle into hotel, Pop into your agents. Meet your guide / porter/guide and get him to take you on a visit Durbar Square so as to acccess his suitability.

Day 2 –Tourist bus to Pokhara, then taxi to Kande and trek to Australian Camp and overnight there.

Day 3 – Continue your trek through Dhampus and down to Phedi and catch a taxi / bus back into Pokhara, afternoons sightseeing including Devi Falls and boating on Fewa Tal

Day 4 – Private car to Kathmandu, visiting Bandipur en-route, then take the cable car to Manakamana, lunch there, then back down on the cable car and continue your journey to Kathmandu

Day 5 – Sightseeing in the Kathmandu Valley and overnight at Bhaktapur

Day 6 – Early morning Mountain flight and flight home (If your international flight departs early and you want to take The Mountain Flight you will have to squeeze this into day 5)

Good Luck

Rob

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

There is another trekking called Dhampus Sarangkot Trek; which personally I think is better. The itinerary suggested by previous traveler is great too but I am only extending another possibility from his planning:

Day 02: Drive to Pokhara by tourist bus, take a taxi to Phedi, trek to Dhampus

Day 03: Trek to Sarangkot, overnight in Sarangkot

Day 04: Sunrise view from Sarangkot [its awesome], drive back to Pokhara and sightseeing in Pokhara

...and continue like above.

But in my opinion you have very light time for trekking in Nepal. At least if you had 4 days then you could try Poon Hill Trekking which is a best trek for me.

Good Luck!

Macau, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

Thank you both for your help!

It has been super helpful when planning this trip. Only 9 days to go until we leave! Hurray!!

You have any top tips on what to pack? I have read a ton of info saying that the weather varies so much this time of year- I was going to pack lightweight clothing for touristy visits to temples...ie. Hareem pants and shirts....and for trekking - a lot of layers and a colombia jacket. I read a lot of information about women trekkers - saying that when in Nepal it is advised to trek in long skirts - so as not to offend the culture. Is this a standard practice?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

Light weight cloths are OK and it seems that monsoon has started in Kathmandu already. It's been raining since few days so do not forget to pack some water proof cloths. The temperature is pretty warm so pack thin layered cloths.

Regarding the trekking normal pants are OK. I think walking with skirts might be uncomfortable [just guessing]. So, general trekking pants are fine and you can wear them. I am sure that they won't offend Nepali cultures.

Good Luck and happy to help!

Macau, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

Thank you!

One last question...I promise! The visa for tourists- what size is it? I want to know if I am to allow a whole page or more or less for it in my passport??

Tanks for being super helpful!!

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
11,400 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

The entry visa is small enough to fit into half a page but the space is needed for the exit stamp too.

You can ask for it to be placed on a spare half page but they might use a new page anyway (this has happened to me).

scoodly

Macau, China
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

Cool, thanks. I panicked because I had 3 full pages left until in china last week they stamped in the middle of one of the pages. A little frustrating as I go to Vietnam end of June which I know is a page. Cutting it finely but it should work out then.

Thanks!!

8. Re: Nepal in 6 days. What to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 27, 2014