We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathing at Teahouses

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Bathing at Teahouses

Hi again,

What is it like to take showers while Teahouse trekking? Do people shower at all? Do we need to take our own towels? Any other advice on this....

Thanks,

Alison

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
486 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

If it's cold and you have a wet towel or underwear from the night before (from hand-washing somehow??), is it dry by morning when it's time to get going on the trek again? What do you do with it if there is no heat anywhere? Maybe this is a stupid question. Sorry, if so.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Hi

Whether something dries overnight will depend on a number of factors; the temperature, humidity and the material. On a low altitude trek in late spring most things will dry overnight; higher up in the monsoon probably not,

Synthetic materials and microfibre towels are the quickest drying; shower and wash clothes shortly after finishing trekking to catch the last rays of sunshinen if not dry then grab some space close to the heater in the communal dining room and hang them on the outside of your rucksack to dry the following day if needed.

scoodly

Edited: 2:28 pm, March 03, 2013
Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
486 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

thank you....I am doing the EBC hike starting on October 20 of this year.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Hi again

Most of the trekking days are quite short because of altitude gain limits so you should be finished by lunchtime giving plenty of opportunity to dry stuff. It's warm in the day lower down with plenty of sunshine and low humidity so you shouldn't have any problems. Higher up there is a tendency for standards to be lowered; fewer showers, clothes worn for a couple of days!

In Namche Bazaar, where people usually spend an extra night there are a couple of laundry services so there is a chance to have everything laundered on the way up though you are only a couple of days into the trek. Sometimes the lodges will wash clothes for a fee but they might be too busy because it's peak season.

The options are to wash underwear in the shower, outside at the lodge/village cold tap or buy a bucket of hot water. It all becomes part of the routine on longer treks.

Ideally, take some environmentally friendly stuff from home or buy a block of local laundry soap for about 30 rupees.

scoodly

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
486 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

helpful info - thanks!!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

The camp towels dry quickly, I purchased extra buffs to wash with ; pinned them on my pack during the day to dry

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

The camp towels dry quickly, I purchased extra buffs to wash with ; pinned them on my pack during the day to dry. I also packed my daily clothing in Ziploc bags and returned the soiled items to them, makes packing home less smelly

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

Bit late to this post but thought I'd throw my comments in anyway in case anyone else came along. I trekked in December 2013 for 18 days and didn't take one single shower. Wet wipes did the business perfectly. Only four of the lodges we stayed in actually had shower facilities, all were outside so as soon as your shower would be finished, you'd basically be stood in minus temperatures. We did manage to get laundry done or wash clothes ourselves on a couple of occasions so underwear was relatively clean most of the time. The four day delay in Lukla at the end of the trip killed what was left of our clothing capacity though. I was glad to get showered and changed once back in Kathmandu :)

19. Re: Bathing at Teahouses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 21, 2015