We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Flights

Can anyone recommend an airline to fly to Nepal? Looking at air india for price and good flight times but heard bad reviews.

Any help would be great.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flights

Hi

If you are concerned about the reviews for Air India consider Qatar and Etihad.

have used both and the service, reliability, cost and flight times were fine (from Manchester though).

Others might have had a different experience and there could be bad reviews...

scoodly

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flights

No Problem

I am a regular visitor to Nepal and also live in UK

Flights to Nepal always come down to cost over convenience so starting from the cheapest option

1) The cheapest way to get from London to Kathmandu is If you can be flexible with your dates to book an easyjet flight from London to Istanbul, Sabiha Gökçen Airport and from there a flight with Air Arabia to Riyadh and from there to Kathmandu – Prices start at around £400 Return Inc of all taxes !!!!

2) The next Cheapest is by finding a cheap ticket to Delhi and then from there up to Kathmandu.- The cheapest options from Delhi are often with the relatively new budget carriers like Jet-Lite and Kingfisher

3) Then the next cheapest are usually through tickets via India with airlines such as Jet

4) Then there are various other routes via The Gulf, the most popular and hassle free ones are with airlines like Qatar, Etihad and Gulf.

I now usually fly with Etihad as their flight times are excellent for me and I can fly out of Manchester, -- OK, it costs more, but the easiness and good flight times enable me to leave my home in Cumbria and fly the same day as well as get back home the day I land using a limited train service

Good Luck and Happy Flying

Rob

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,318 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flights

Fifteen years ago I flew with Biman Bagladesh - cheap, cheerful, but a thirteen hour wait-over in Dhaka isn't much fun.

Since then I've flown twice with Qatar and with Gulf, and found them both good (though pricier than some).

Three years ago we used Air India, and as well as finding Delhi airport totally chaotic, on the return flight we were 'bumped off' the Delhi - Heathrow flight (overbooked ?) with no apology or explanation, and were flown to Mumbai, then on to Heathrow, arriving 21 hours later than originally scheduled. Subsequent emails to Air India produced no reply ! I won't use them again.

This year I'm using Etihad from Manchester to Abu Dhabi, then, after a two hour lay-over, on to Kathmandu (and a similar wait on the way back). This looks to be a good schedule, and was cheaper than two years ago when all we could find was Emirates from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi, two hour wait, then on to Doha, eight hour wait, then Qatar to Kathmandu. The return flight was similar (but ended up at Gatwick !)

Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flights

Hi Salopian

The best information are already posted. i would like to inform you that, the gulf air is closing the flight to Kathmandu in last of the April and i think kingfisher also not operating nowadays.

thanks

Alrounder

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,485 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flights

And just a small addition: IF you choose models 2) / 3), through India, check carefully whether you can have all on the same ticket. Which means 1 airline or 2 partnering airlines. If it's 2 separate tickets, of course our Indian friends have dictated that in order to collect your bags and check in again you need a transit visa (a dual-entry of course) and that sets you back maybe 40-50 USD extra plus lots of red tape in applying for it in your homecountry. Gone are often the savings promised by the cheaper tickets ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flights

As I understand it, it is possible to travelvia Delhi without a transit visa whether regardless of the airline combination.

There is a transit area where staff from the oneard airline will collect luggage and check it in for the next flight. From reports it can still be chaotic in the new terminal butdoes work.

Having said that, a smoother, less stressful experience is likely to be had via the gulf.

scoodly

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
141 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flights

scoodly,

I guess it depends on. If you fly to DEL from FRA for example with lufthansa, and the onward flight is spicejet to Kathmandu, I doubt that they will use the same terminal (but it can happen? someone should confirm), in this case, you will need at least a transit visa.

Cumbria
Level Contributor
4,607 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flights

The only issues with Indian Transit Visas that I have heard about are with budget operators flying into Delhi that have denied passengers access to their flight into Delhi because the passenger hasn’t had a visa – This was because had the passenger been denied entry / transit then the budget airline would have been responsible to take the passenger back to where they flew from.

I haven’t transited to Nepal through Delhi since the new airport opened myself, but from reports on TT (Before its demise) said that it was now a lot easier.

So – As far as flying via Delhi goes, there shouldn’t be a problem, nor usually a need for a transit visa – But Always Double Check this with the airline Before booking

Best Regards

Rob

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flights

TomDiv

That might have happened before the new terminal was built when some KTM flights left from the domestic terminal - that does not happen with the new terminal.

Travellers should check of course.

scoodly

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flights

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to go with Qatar Airways, which has meant flying a day earlier but got a good rate for extra day in the hotel.