We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

United States
Level Contributor
65 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

Hi there,

My first time visiting Nepal would have to occur during the monsoon season. I'm not looking at Everest or mountain hiking but wish to experience the culture and visit plenty of Buddhist/Hindu temples. Will I get washed away like a wet cat during this time???? Is it even worth attempting a visit or is it a waste of money during the summer monsoon?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

It depends on what you would like to do and where you would like to visit. There are some trekking routes like Upper Mustang Trek which is done inside rain shadow area. Upper Mustang is less affected by monsoon comparing to other trekking routes.

Everest is pretty affected by monsoon. Flights are not sure often so you may need to think about it carefully. Langtang - Helambu trekking region has plenty of Hindu and Buddhist monasteries / temples, that you will enjoy. This area is also affected by monsoon.

Definitely, you will enjoy the routes with good rain cover and good boots. If you are heading for trekking or to the mountains then make sure that you have good trekking boots and a good rain cover to be safe from being a wet cat!

United States
Level Contributor
65 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

Wow! Thanks for the quick reply. Okay, so I definitely will look into going. Will it be difficult to book flights to Nepal this late, for a trip in July?

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

I think it won't be late. Just the airfare will be changed!

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

As it's out of peak season I suspect that plane seats will be readily available, and less expensive.

The weather is likely to be warm, and wet, but that probably won't prevent your being entranced by the history and culture.

Within Kathmandu, Swayambunath temple, Bodnath stupa, Dhurbar Square, Pushupatinath temple are all awesome and fascinating. It's also worth taking time just to walk the streets and soak up the atmosphere.

Nearby, Pathan Dhurbar Square is well worth a visit, and the 40 minutes or so by road that it takes to get to Bhaktapur will be more than repaid by the incredible central squares, temples, and museum

Edited: 4:33 pm, May 04, 2011
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
402 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

By the time of momsoon it is very easy to buy flight tickets to Nepal comperaing other season even cheaper.

well, The monsoon time is not perfect time to Visit nepal thugh would be ok ,to see kathmandu valley,pokhara,jungle safari trip & if you wish to see the superb himalyan views then you should trek to rain shadow area Like,upper Mustang or dolpo,these parts are totally rain shadow area and even do not rain there just kind of drezzing so, you won,t regreat youself even you travel to nepal by the moonsoon time.

Please do not miss to see in Kathmandu(kathmandu durbure suare,patan,monkey temple,boudha nath stupa) pokhara valley is beautiful lake town with magical mountain views & if your time permits you travel to Chitwan national parks to see wild life.

enjoy your Nepal trip.

Edited: 12:15 am, May 05, 2011
Peshawar, Pakistan
Level Contributor
420 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

Bonjour,

That's the advantage, one could find cheaper flights to Nepal.

Not for trekking but if one's into just city tours, that could be fine.

Bon voyage..

Kathmandu, Nepal
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

Its been raining consistently for quite a while now. The rain came in much too early this year. Therefore, I don't suppose that the actual monsoons will be as wet as it normally is. Come prepared with a good mac though!! Hope luck is by your side. Enjoy your trip. Cheers!!

Laramie, Wyoming
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

To experience the culture and visit plenty of Buddhist/Hindu temples during monsoon season shouldn't make any disturbances in Nepal. The rain doesn't come all the time and even if it rains, it is not very big. There is no reason to not to plan your trip only because of the monsoon fear. You may have to use umbrella or raincoat often. not a big deal?

9. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:37 am, December 04, 2011
Kathmandu, Nepal
Level Contributor
209 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monsoon Nepal - is it worth visiting?

agree with jointonepal.