We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Devon, England
2 posts
Save Topic
Ideas for a Nepal Advenutre?

Hello everybody,

i hope to arrive in nepal for a trekking adventure in a couple of weeks after a visit to india and was hoping for some advice and comments on my plans.

i thought that i would trek Poon Hill first as it sounds like a good introduction and then from there i hope to tackle the Annanpurna Sanctuary. Is this a good idea? and will it be possible to do this with Pokura as a base camp? i also will be travelling alone so will this be o.k from a security point-of-view?

i also hoped to travel eastwards and explore Nagarkot and Dhulikhel. Will this be possible to do as well as i only have about a month in Nepal?

Any comments or advice on these plans would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou very much.

Paul.

Settle, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a Nepal Advenutre?

Here's a fairly typical itinerary that combines The Sanctuary and Poon Hill (you could do it the other way round, but personallly I find this route better as it avoids the very long ascent from Tirkedungha to Ghorepani which otherwise comes as a Day 2 shock).

Day 1: Fly to Pokhara.

Bus or taxi to Dhampus Phedi. (max 1 hour)

Trek to Dhampus (2 hours)

Day 2: Trek to Landrung

Day 3: Tek to Chhomrong

Day 4: Trek to Bamboo

Day 5: Trek to Deorali

Day 6: Trek to Macchepuchare Base Camp

Day 7: Visit Annapurna Base Camp. Trek back to Himalaya Hotel

Day 8: Trek to Chhomrong

Day 9: Trek to Tadapani

Day 9: Trek to Ghorepani

Day 10: Ascend Poon Hill. Descend and trek to Tirkedungha

Day 11: Trek via Birethanti to Nyapul. Bus / taxi back to Pokhara

Perhaps allow 1 extra day on trek to be taken as / when you like.

None of the days will be desperately long, and by taking this slightly leisurely more approach

you are unlikely to encounter problems caused by altitude - you should be tolerably acclimatised by the time you reach Macchepuchare Base Camp. If you feel rough there either descend straight away, or if only slightly rough stay an extra day there.

There have been cases (albeit rare) of lone trekkers being mugged in the woods around Ghorepani. One way to minimise any risk, and also to make your trip more pleasant and probably far more rewarding is to employ a porter / guide who will be able to give you an insight into the culture and customs (as well as freeing you from carrying a big sack !). For the relatively low cost (by western standards) you stand to gain a tremendous amount (and you gain no kudos by backpacking - why not provide a little local employment and income ?). You can find a guide either through a hotel or a company in Pokhara, or from a trekking company in Kathmandu - its probably worth arranging with a company before you go. If you want I can send you a list of firms that have been recommended by genuine TA users - send me a private message if you want that list

Obviously the above itinerary, even with a couple of days chilling out in Pokhara added to the end of it, still only takes half of your month, and leaves you ample time to explore Kathmandu, Pathan, Bhaktapur, Nagarkot, etc.

Kathmandu
Level Contributor
928 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a Nepal Advenutre?

Hello Paul,

Congratulations on planning to visit Nepal.

Your idea seems to be great. Yeah, it's ok if you do Ghorepani Poon Hill Trek first and then go to Base Camp from there. And, yeah of course there is not problem of security. You can try following itinerary.

It's enough to do Dhulikhel and Nagarkot if you have one month in Nepal and this is more than enough.

Try this plan:

Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu, transfer to the Hotel

Day 02: A full day sightseeing tour around Kathmandu

Day 03: Sightseeing in Kathmandu and prepare of your Trek

Day 04: Drive / Fly from Kathmandu to Pokhara

Day 05: Drive to Nayapul and Trek to Ulleri

Day 06: Trek to Ghorepani

Day 07: In the morning Trek to Poon Hill and in the day trek to Tadapani

Day 08: Trek to Chomrong village

Day 09: Trek to Dovan

Day 10: Trek to Machhapuchre Base Camp (MBC)

Day 11: Trek to Annapurna Base Camp

Day 12: Trek back to Bamboo

Day 13: Trek to Jhinu Danda (Hot Spring)

Day 14: Trek to Pothana

Day 15: Trek to Phedi, Drive back to Pokhara

Day 15: Sightseeing tour around Pokhara

Day 16: Drive / fly back to Kathmandu.

Day 17: Drive to Dhulikhel and rest

Day 18: Drive to Nagarkot and rest

Day 19: Drive to Kathmandu and shopping.

Day 19: Departure to your own destination or expand your trip.

If you need more information then please post in the forum.

Regards,

Upendra

Devon, England
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a Nepal Advenutre?

Hello there,

thankyou both for your replies its a big help. its good to know that i will have enough time to do some trekking and expore a few different places aswell. both itineries sound great to me and i think i will try to hire a guide and porter aswell.

thankyou,

Paul.

4. Re: Ideas for a Nepal Advenutre?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 05, 2010