We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

southampton
2 posts
Save Topic
My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

My brother, Julian Wynne, 32, English has gone missing whilst trekking to Everest Base Camp in Nepal.

Julian and Lee (his trekking companion) had been staying in the Namaste Lodge in Gokyo. They then set out to cross Cho La together on the 22nd December 08. Apparently they had some differing ideas on the path to take up the pass and had decided to go their separate ways. Lee told looked back and saw Julian sitting on a rock by the path, then later saw 2+1 people walking away from the area you ascend the Chola pass (from the Gokyo side) and had (not unreasonably) assumed that his friend was now in the company of a pair of Australian or Kiwi trekkers they'd seen descending from the pass earlier and they were heading towards the Tea House they had stayed in the night before at Thagnag or dragnag. Lee continued over the pass and returned to Namche expecting to meet up with Julian there a few days hence. Unfortunately that was the last time that anyone has seen or heard of Julian.

Lee waited in Namche for several days. Julian had left camera & ipod cables at the lodge in Namche but did not collect them. Lee had been waiting by the trail coming into Namche and quizzed most of the trekkers coming down as to whether they had seen Julian. Some messages were sent up the trail to the villages & lodges that he might have passed through, but to no avail. He has not colcted his clothes from the lodge they left them in and hasn't signed out of the national park.

We have contacted the embassy, police and interpol have been informed. A family member has flown out there today. A photo of Julian can be found on the messge board on trekinfo.com or there is a facebook group set up called "Find Julian Wynne" which I am urging everyone to join and to invite all their friends to join.

We (his family and friends) are extremely worried and fear for his saftey. If anyone here was in the area at the time, you may be able to provide us with vital information. Please get in contact with me via Facebook (my user name i Sophie Wynne, Portsmouth nework) or by adding a message here, or the facebook group.

Many thanks, Sophie.

London
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

Hi Sophie,

Might I suggest you post on the lonely planet thorntree as well. It's probably the most popular forum out there for Nepal and trekking.

Dave

southampton
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

Thanks Dave, I have now posted on there, thanks

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

Hi Dave,

You can place the photo of your bro and details of his trek in this famous resto-bar called "Rum-Doodle" in Thamel, Kathmandu.

Most trekkers/trekking groups using the kathmandu route to exit after the trek visit this place. It bears signature, pugmarks & comments from various trekkers around the globe.

Might just help if someone has spotted him around in the ranges.

All the best to you!

Tusky

4. Re: My brother has gone missing whilst trekking in Nepal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 10, 2009