We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

I am arriving in Kathmandu In May 2019 and hoping to do EBC. I contacted an TAAN agent that told me he booked direct flights from Katmandu to Lukla for myself and my son. He asked for 100USD to be sent to him by Western Union as a deposit. I understand domestic flights may fly out after 8am depending on weather. When I asked the agent to confirm it was a direct flight from Kathmandu (not Manthali, we don't want to the long drive) he double checked and admitted it was from Manthali not Katmandu. Tara airlines are showing online direct flights on select dates from KAT to Lukla at 8am.

Has anyone had any success on direct flights (not via Manthali)? Is the experience with the agent the "norm" in Katmandu?

Thank you in advance for opinions and/or suggestions.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
1. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

This is because Ktm airport is undergoing maintenance and departure is from another place several hours by road away. Extensively discussed and info here https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293889-i9243-k12353585-No_Flights_to_Lukla_from_Kathmandu_in_April-Nepal.html

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

I realize this and have read the forum. I understand the airport is only open for domestic flights after 8am.

What I am asking is

1) Are there any direct flights at all after 8am, if so where to find them?

2) Has anyone had any success with direct flights after 8am onine or via a local agent?

3) Is it typical for agents to ask for western union transfers as deposits

Hope that makes the question clearer

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
48 posts
273 reviews
80 helpful votes
3. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

1. Yes - there are direct flights from KTM to LUA after 8AM.

2. You can book them ex. with TARA on https://www.yetiairlines.com/flightsearch

3. Sometimes they might want it. Better book online directly with the airline.

M.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,769 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
4. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

Hi Gonehiking

I have not flown to Lukla during the repairs so I can't answer all your questions:

Generally, your experience with the agent is not atypical: full information can be difficult to get and response to questions can seem evasive and instead of precise answers one gets vague assurances; deposits are often requested, more commonly by bank transfer by bank transfer but Western Union is also used. The agent will want to secure your business and to cover advance costs.

1) Yeti Airlines, Buddha Air and Summit are flying after 8.00am, as I understand it. Flights do get booked up. Perhaps more people are taking the risk of later flights (weather disruptions are more likely later in the morning) and avoiding the road trip to Manthali. Larger trekking companies and ticketing agents book flights en bloc and sometimes these become available nearer the time. There is no guarantee fo getting the flights you want close to the time though.

You might want to take into account that one of Summit's planes crashed recently.

2) No experience.

3) As above, WU is not so unusual but if there is a cheaper option to transfer the $100 you could ask to pay that way: bank transfer or credit card. I would prefer credit card because of the protection it offers if something goes wrong.

Good luck.

scoodly

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
18,769 posts
63 reviews
51 helpful votes
5. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

Marcin's suggestion of booking directly can work. If you are hiring a guide it is better to be on the same flight and this can be more difficult to organise booking directly.

scoodly

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,424 posts
47 reviews
30 helpful votes
6. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

It could well be that the agent has booked you on a direct flight from Kathmandu to Lukla – But this won’t actually guarantee that there will be direct fights on any given day as there are too many imponderables including that internal flights can be rescheduled for many reasons including the recent Lukla crash with Summit Airlines mean that they are one aircraft down so they will have to reschedule their flights to take account of this + If there has been recent bad weather flights will have to rescheduled so as to maximise the number of flights from Lukla during good weather and it could be that the agent is being hyper honest and letting you know in advance that although there might be a direct fight on the day you want to fly, there also might not be !!

Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking

Rob

Travel Pages including Nepal blog https://web.archive.org/web/20150906143420/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
7. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

Thank you for the time and effort to respond to all of you

If its helpful to anyone i received the following response from Tara:

We have based 01 aircraft in KTM and 02 aircrafts in Manthali. Thus, we are operating direct flights from KTM after 8am and shuttle flights from Manthali at 630am.

After days of trying to find direct flights, after my email to Tara the direct flights I wanted popped up in my search and I booked them. Now, I hope for good weather and go from there.

My agent was not able to find these flights. Although he initially thought they were direct after asking him direct questions, and asking him to follow up with the airline, I eventually got a direct answer. Lesson, clarify, clarify , clarify. Be patient and send follow up emails daily. Don't take what the agent has told you as accurate, they may be misinformed.

I'm relieved I did not send the deposit by Western Union for the booking. I did request bank transfer or credit card but was advised Western union was best for him.

Still looking for guide/porter for my son and I but will figure that out in Kathmandu.

Hope this post helps anyone else trekking to EBC during the airport renovations.

Namaste

Lake District...
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Kathmandu
Level Contributor
7,424 posts
47 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

No Problem – Pleased to at least try to be of help !!

First of all, I hope that everything works out for you and that the direct flight that you have booked on line materialises in Kathmandu and that the weather is good so that it flies to Lukla – This must have been a difficult decision to come to as reliable information on what is actually happening with these flights is difficult to come across !!!

Are you putting a Plan “B” into place just in case something happens to prevent the flight ?? I wonder what sort of timeframe that you have for your trek ?? as long as you have plenty of buffer days then I am sure that it will all work out one way or another – Regular visitors to Nepal have a saying “Things have a habit of working out in Nepal, but rarely as you expect them to” So I Do Hope that you come back and make a post letting us all know how you got on, especially as it is disappointing that no-one has posted on your thread relating their own experiences of flying top Lukla since the disruptions at Kathmandu started due to the resurfacing of the runway.

One thing that I don’t understand from your email from Tara is, when they say that they “have based 01 aircraft in KTM and 02 aircrafts in Manthali. Thus, we are operating direct flights from KTM after 8am and shuttle flights from Manthali at 630am” is that are they saying that the 01 aircraft in KTM is just sitting on the apron waiting for 8am so that it can fly, you would have thought that, at least for the first flight of the day, it would have operated out of Manthali so as to get an extra return flight to Lukla in ??

I also hope that you find a reliable Porter/Guide for you and your son – How are you going to go about doing this now ??

I look forwards to reading all about your trek and hope that the flights work out

Best Regards

Rob

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla
Save

Namaste,

I did think more people would reply but oh well.

I did see coflygirl was having the same problem.

Plan B will be either wait another day or possibly go to Manthali, or trek locally perhaps Annapurna, not sure yet, see what happens.

For the porter/guide I’m still looking, sent off some emails with limited response.

Maybe it will be easier when we get there. I do have limited time, 18 days, I know I need buffer days if I make it to EBC

Any suggestions?

10. Re: Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts
© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.