We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

I'm planning on taking a three week tour at the end of October, but it ended up having to take five weeks off work to line the dates up. I'm thinking of visiting Varanasi for the 2-3 days before the tour starts, but still have 10 days afterwards till I have to be home. Is there other places in India that I should see, or head to Sri Lanka or Maldives and relax before going home?

The tour itinerary is:

Day 1 Delhi

Arrive at any time.

Day 2 Delhi/Agra

Visit old Delhi, Jama Masjid, Gurdwara and Connaught Place. Drive to Agra in the afternoon.

Day 3 Agra

Visit Taj Mahal, Red Fort and Baby Taj.

Day 4 Bharatpur

En route to Bharatpur, visit Fatehpur Sikri, the now deserted former capital of the Mughals. In the afternoon, you can take a cycle-rickshaw in Keoladeo National Park.

Days 5-6 Jaipur

Visit to Abhaneri, an ancient village set in the desert of Rajasthan, known for its beautiful baoris (stepwells) and the famous Harshat Mata temple. In the afternoon, reach Jaipur and visit the Hawa Mahal and Amber Fort. Option to watch a Bollywood movie in Raj Mandir.

Day 7 Delhi

Return to Delhi in the afternoon for one final opportunity to shop, explore or take more photographs.

Days 8-9 Kochi (Cochin)

Fly to Kochi. Orientation walk in Fort Kochi.

Days 10-11 Wayanad (Kalpetta)

Morning train to Kozhikode. Later scenic drive to Wayanad. Explore nature trails in Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary and Eddakal prehistoric caves.

Day 12 Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary

Spend the night at the Mudumalai Wildlife Sanctuary. The sanctuary provides one of the most important refuges for the elephant and bison in India.

Days 13-14 Mysore

Visit to Chaumundi Temple and Somnathpur. Overnight train to Chennai on Day 14 and private bus to Mamallapuram.

Day 15-16 Mamallapuram (Mahabalipuram)

Visit the Shore temples.

Day 17 Thanjavur (Tanjore)/Tiruchirapalli (Trichy)

Journey to the next destination via Pondicherry—former French territory; wander the streets of the French Quarter, learn more about Sri Aurobindo Ghose and The Mother at the ashram, enjoy French delicacies served in one of the many restaurants and cafés. Take the afternoon train to Madurai.

Day 18 Madurai

Enjoy a cycle-rickshaw tour of Madurai and Sri Meenakshi temple.

Day 19 Thekkady (D)

Guided tour of the spice plantations in Cardamom hills.

Day 20 Kerala Backwaters Homestay (L,D)

Private bus to Alleppey and riverboat to homestay. Experience local life and enjoy guided walk along the lagoon.

Day 21 Kochi (B)

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

you can be including places like kanchepuram, kumbakonam, chidambaram, chettinad mansion, tharamgambadi (tranqebar)

you shall check these to keep you occupied for the 10 days :)

New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

If you can still change your plans then you can add a Rajasthan Tour kn between or at the end. Jaisalmer, Udaipur, Ranakpur, Kumbhalgarh, Jodhpur are abtreatbto watch at. This can covr up your ten days easily.

You can also think of adding Pushkar and Ajmer also.

Udaipur, India
Destination Expert
for Udaipur
Level Contributor
4,616 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

Udaipur is missing in your tour. This beautiful city of Rajasthan is must visit you can add. Semi deserted area or deserted area of Rajasthan including Jodhpur and Jaisalmer.

You can add visit of varanasi and Khajuraho. Orcha and Gwalior.

Yoi can add atleast one more day to Mysore and Mamallapuram. There is a lot to see nearby.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

You can add Kutch region also.

Or else consider visiting Bhubaneshwar, Konark, Puri area.

Sanjiv

Gateshead, England
Level Contributor
368 posts
944 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

Aeb Alberta

Yes I agree please go to Varanasi. It is wonderful. But also you have to visit Mumbai. Mumbai is the craziest city in India whilst also the most amazing.

One observation on your trip seems to be having you in Kochi on the west cost then across to Mahabalipuram on the east and then back to Alleppey on the west.? Is this a set trip because it would seem this could possibly be better planned? Just a thought and I may be wrong with the places you are visiting in between. Enjoy

alberta, canada
Level Contributor
131 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like I should definately stay in India and explore a few of these places.

The itinerary is from gadventures, I've never travelled with a group/tour before, but I don't feel like the hassle of trying to organize all of this trip myself and like the idea of having a small group to hang out with. Last time I was travelling by myself in Egypt I organized everything and it actually turned out better then most of the people on tours, but it was a bit stressfull at times when I was tired and didn't want to haggle with people or have 10 people following me who wanted to practice their English.

I haven't booked flights or even the tour yet in case I came up with an alternate plan or a fantastic seat sale, so I'm just trying to get a plan lined out that I can start pricing flights on.

agra
Level Contributor
1,692 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

Add kashmir leh and laddakh

Great places

8. Re: What to do after a tour, 10 more vacation days.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 20, 2014