We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

Hi there

I would like some advice please. My husband and I are going to India for what was supposed to be a trip of a lifetime, to spend my 30th birthday in India, we are visiting Delhi, Jaipur, Agra, Ranthambore, and Udaipur. I was so excited but it seems that everyday I turn on the news I see another story about a female that has been attacked or raped over there and I am beginning to wish we were not going. I feel like this whole trip is spoiled and I am so upset. I plan to be respectful to Indian people, show no affection to my husband in public and dress very modesty - covered head to toe in loose fitting clothes so as not to cause offence. Is this enough?~ What else can I do? We have all our hotels booked and also rail tickets in AC2 for our travel, is this ok? Will we be safe? Please give me your views.

Thanks

Amy

Mentioned in this post
Jaipur
Jaipur
Jaipur District, India
Agra
Agra
Agra District, India
Udaipur
Udaipur
Udaipur District, India
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

hi Amy

forget those news, as you know media will do business on hot topics. may be after 2 months you might not get news on this or even before the Delhi rape case. it doesn't mean that it wasn't happening before or happen later in future.

with the basic precautions as a traveler, you shall enjoy the fullest in India.

Advance birthday wishes :)

Have a pleasant stay in India.

Oxfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

I've been to India several times, usually with my husband but also on my own (I'm also in my thirties) and have never felt unsafe. I always plan my itineraries very carefully, arrange transport and transfers in advance, book guides and drivers when possible, stay in recommended hotels or homestays and dress conservatively (sometimes in salwar kameez, depending on where I am). You will be covering a well-established tourist route and presumably staying in decent accommodation, so I'm sure you will not only be fine, but will enjoy your trip of a lifetime.

Oxfordshire, UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

By the way, my last trip to India was in January and I went on my own. It was just after the incident in Delhi (which was on my itinerary) and, like you, I was very nervous about going. As it happened, I had a wonderful time and, as usual, found the Indian people I met to be nothing but friendly and welcoming.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

Amy

do we have crime here in the UK?

Of course we do, and it's reported in the news at great length.

But does it worry you if you plan to visit say, London and there have been recent reports of rape or even murder in the capital?

I'm not trivialising these awful incidents but very few places in the world are crime-free.

I do understand your concern but you've planned a fab holiday and intend to take reasonable precautions so try to look forward to it.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

Though there are such incidences but remember it is country of 1.2 billion people. These incidences does not reflect the society as whole.

deepak

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

A point well made, Deepak.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

I felt safer in India than in any other place we've visited, don't worry you'll have a great time.

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

Thank you, your comments have made me feel alot happier about it. I have travelled in Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Morocco, Laos, Cambodia amongst others, but this is due to be my first time in India and it seems like an awful lot of female-targeted attacks are occuring at present. As one poster said, there is alot of violent crime in the UK, but I think I am just a little afraid of being a woman in India, as it appears we are looked down on by Indian men which I find very sad. I will try to forget this and enjoy my trip, as we have so many amazing things planned, I don't want this to spoil the holiday.

Thank you all

Amy

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:06 am, March 19, 2013
10. Re: Very Scared and sad about going to India now :-(

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:56 am, June 06, 2013