We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I'm looking to feed off people's knowledge as I'm a first time traveller to India. There is so much I want to see and do but unfortunately due to my time scale I will not be able to do everything. My proposed itinerary so far goes like this;

Land in Delhi spend 2-3 nights - Agra, 1 night - Ranthambore National Park, 1-2 nights as I'd like to get a couple of safaris in - Jaipur, 2-3 nights - Jodhpur, 2 night's - Camel safari (not decided where yet), 1 night - Mumbai, 3 nights - Goa, 4-5 nights.

After that I'm stuck as to what to do next. I definitely want to go South to do the backwaters and see some of the hill stations but I have no idea where to start. I've considered missing out Goa to give me more time in the South. Most of the traveling will done by train (longer distances I'll do at night) but if I did miss out Goa I'd get a internal flight from Mumbai - Kochi to save time.

Any advice/ opinions on my proposed itinerary would be great. I'm open to idea's if anyone thinks I've missed anything off. At the end the trip the plan is to fly out of Kochi to Sri Lanka so I need to end my trip in that area.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

After jodhpur you can visit Udaipur.

In south India you can start your tour from Kochi.

deepak

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,018 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

After jodhpur you can visit Udaipur.

In south India you can start your tour from Kochi.

deepak

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Thank you, I had looked at Udaipur after seeing a few people recommend it on other forums.

Would you miss Goa out completely and have more time in Kerala?

Edited: 7:38 am, March 14, 2013
udaipur
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Hi,

We Suggest

Delhi >> Agra >> Ranthambore >> Jaipur (Jaipur to Jaisalmer via train) >> Jaisalmer >> Jodhpur >> Udaipur (Udaipur - Mumbai via Flight) >> MUMbai >> Goa Flight.

I Thinks its save time & you cant feel tired.

Regards,

Yogesh Gupta

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

in Goa , major activities you can do is partying and beaches. so you shall do it as a separate trip (if you have plan for future)

you shall consider flying out of trichy or madurai to colombo instead of kochi

so that you shall accomodate a little in the region and also flying out from kochi will add up little cost than trichy / madurai.

from kochi-> allepey back waters

kodaikanal- a small hill station (there is periyar tiger reserve in between)

from kodaikanal to madurai or trichy

In madurai you shall visit meenakshi amman temple

trichy - srirangam rock fort, kallanai dam (built in 2 AD)

Thanjavur(1 hour drive from trichy) - bragadeeswar temple.

mid of jan will be pongal festival in the region.

have tried to mention the places of your interest mentioned in your post.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

voyageurdeInde, I will look in to flights from the airports you mentioned rather than Cochin. And thank you for the suggested itinerary for the South :)

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

will look for your final clear itinerary :)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
82 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

I ordered a lonely planet book yesterday so no doubt I'll end up with even more idea's after reading that.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

yeah guidebooks give information to research :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Destination Expert
for Lonavala, Binsar, Dalhousie, Gir National Park, Shirdi, Uttarakhand
Level Contributor
8,236 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: January 2014 - 1 month itinerary help.

Hi..

I would like to suggest..

Arrive at delhi-spend 2 nights there, explore delhi culture and markets-

Leave early morning to agra from delhi by taxi-visit agra fort-evening at tajmahal-you can leave agra in the night for jaipur by train or bus..or if you want you can stay one more day to explore agra more..for train log to www.indianrailinfo.com

Agra-jaipur..spend 2 nights there and visit forts like hawamahal etc..and also the markets like johari bazar, sadar bazar, M.I. Road etc..

Visit ranthambore national park..stay a night there

Jaipur -jodhpur by train or bus..you can find ac bus from the area called "sindhi camp bus stop"..

Spend a night and 2 days in jodhpur..then from jodhpur to jaisalmer..you can go by bus and taxi only..book a taxi by hotel, where you will stay or by authentic taxi stand..which cost you almost 3500 rs...bus are frequent so no issue..do camel safari in jaisalmer and visit "thar" desert..

From jaisalmer come back to jodhpur and catch a train or bus to udaipur ..if you want to visit there or directly take a overnight train to mumbai..

Spend a night and 2 day in mumbai..

I will definitly recommend goa..go for 3 nights there..stay at candolim or calangute..fly from mumbai..take a motor cycle on rent and visit beaches like candolim, calangute, baga etc..

From goa..fly to cochin..explore the beautiful kerala..backwater..hill station like munnar..wildlife sanctuary like thekkedy..kovalam..periyar..spend 6 to 7 days there..if you like you can visit last point of south india "kanyakumari"..

Can expand your south tour by adding madurai, trichy..or directly go to chennai from kanyakumari or cochin..

Fly to colombo srilanka..visit colombo , kandy, heavenly beaches like bentota..sygeria caves, world's one and only one elephant orphanage at pinnewala..

Have a nice journey