We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

double of brits?

Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
double of brits?

Double 'for' Brits

Can someone settle an argue please (my India holiday depends upon it ) .... we go to Sri Lanka every year but finally thought it time for a change and decided upon India.

We found out that a tourist visa for India is now nearly £100 pounds, which in itself is quite a disincentive but we still decided to go for India.

Now one of the gang has just emailed saying that “it’s nearly £100 pounds for Brits but everyone else (people from other countries) get for around half that amount . . . . that’s not true is it?

Regards

Mark

Edited: 3:50 pm, January 17, 2013
Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: double of brits?

I have just checked the website, which appears to confirm that Brits pay double what everyone else pays for a tourist visa:

in.vfsglobal.co.uk/touristvisa_fees.html

So it's Sri Lanka for us again this year but I'm really interested to know why that is..... could anyone explain please?

Regards

Mark

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
3,365 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: double of brits?

i just applied and here in Canada, the visa fee for a 6 month tourist visa for India is $62 cdn plus a $22 fee for vfs so $84 total which equals almost 56 pounds, so it appears you are right....

Jo

Edited: 10:01 pm, January 17, 2013
Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: double of brits?

i guess this increase in fee will be phased out for other nationals also. as the fee was not adjusted (increased) for a decade. so other nationals can think of that.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: double of brits?

Its because the UK charges Indian nationals 82 Pounds ++ for a tourist visa.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: double of brits?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k6…

Hundreds of posts about this, here are a few

Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: double of brits?

thanks for the info, I should have known they'd be 100's of other posts on the same subject - I just needed to find out fast as we were booking today (we're going to Sri Lanka - again).

I guess if the Indian Government charges all foreign nationals the direct equivalent of what Indian nations pay for a corresponding visa its fair.

Does anyone know if thats the case? I hope so or I'll never get back to India (and we have another holiday to plan in October)

Regards

Mark

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: double of brits?

Mark - work out carefully what the total cost of holiday is likely to be rather than initial entry cost. Been few years since visited Sri Lanka so not sure of comparative costs for drinks eating etc... My memories of Sri Lanka it was much more hotel based and not the cheap shacks and restaurants you tend to get in India.

I know £92 seems a lot but like I said, before you dismiss India sit down and work out total costs including spending. You may find cheaper eats/drinks in India outweighs the visa cost.

Preston
Level Contributor
481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: double of brits?

never was a matter of money with us, its the prinicple Brits pay double what everyone else pays and while we're daft enough to go on paying it they'll keep putting it up. I know it's a matter of choice and some people don't mind but the people who I travel with do mind, we mind a lot. Racism is racism and it upsets some people.

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: double of brits?

Its not racism but far more complex. We in U.K. have serious problem with immigration and U.K. government has choosen to deal with it by making offending countries difficult entry - once in the country would take thousands of immigrant officials employed to round up the offenders. India has appeared, although not officially confirmed, to take a tit for tat approach to this and charge U.K. visitors same to visit India as Indians to enter U.K. Other neighbouring countries have not adopted the tit for tat approach.

So could say, if you use term racism, it applies to both sides. We must remember that citizens of both U.K. and India are not representative of their governments decisions. If you want to visit India I would build the visa cost into total cost of holiday and just go for it.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: double of brits?

I can understand how the visa cost may be prohibitive for some people, but I don't think I'd choose not to holiday somewhere purely on principle.

To me, that's a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

I 100% agree with Wanderin_star (and have said the same several times on the Goa forum), I look at the total cost of the holiday.

Flights, accommodation, transfers, food, drink and visas (if applicable) - plus a couple of non-cost questions:

Will I have a good time?

Will the weather be great?

Goa certainly ticks both boxes for me but Sri Lanka fails on the second one, certainly in November when we holiday in Goa.

I don't really care how much any other nationality pays for a visa to India.

I don't really care how much Indian nationals have to pay for a visa to visit my country.

I don't really care if a certain nationalities can get visa-on-arrival.

The cost is what it is and the process is what it is.

Edited: 2:59 am, January 19, 2013