We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

Dublin, Ireland
6 posts
Save Topic
10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

We are two young (early 20s) female travellers. We are doing volunteer work in Colombo and in Ahmedabad with two weeks gap in between at the start of July which we would like to use to experience the essence of India. We want to see cultural sights (the must-sees and hidden gems). Safety is important which is why, although we are interested in scenic areas, they might be too secluded for us. We don't mind a busy, tightly packed itinerary.

We will get a chance to see Delhi and Agra after Ahmedabad (but not the third corner, Jaipur).

We may be spending a few days in the Maldives diving straight after Colombo*, from there we could fly into either Kochi or Bangalore or somewhere in Kerala. This would give us 9-10 days instead of 14.

The places that have interested me from what I read are; Mumbai, Varanasi (some people say view from a distance, others that it is essential to the trip), Amritsar (Harmandir Sahib and Wagah Border), Jaidpur, Jodhpur and Udaipur (I'm not sure what's in the last three but they are on every list)

The wealth of information is suffocating me. And having never been to India I can't work out a logical route to take. I've spent hours looking at flight options but they are giving me a headache. We would be open to taking trains if they are worth it/don't take up too much time/are safe compared to flying. We are students but want to see India properly/be safe.

Suggestions anyone?

Thank you!

*Unless there is somewhere good to dive in India in July?

Edited: 5:06 pm, January 16, 2013
New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

You can think of covering Amritsar, Varanasi, Jaipur, Jodhpur, Udaipur, Mumbai and finally reaching Ahmedabad from Varanasi. But your Itinerary will be too tightly packed. You will have to mix your transportation by Air, Train and Road. If properly planned and designed this can be made possible to a great extent.

New Delhi
Level Contributor
410 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

From Maldives you can land Kochi and from there fly to Delhi for your trip or you can reverse the trip as well and start from Mumbai and end at Amritsar/Delhi from where you can proceed to Ahmedabad. This will depend on the connecting flight to save time for your trip.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

you can catch the west coast. from cochin (kochi) 4-5 days in kerala

and then you can travel in train to have the essence of the train travel with konkan railways. you can try with train towards mumbai and then fly to ahmedabad.

your interests would matter to help better.

Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

from Maldives you can fly to Thiruvananthapuram and from there you can visit Kanyakumari / Kovalam/ Alleppey houseboats / Fortcochin and take a flight from Cochin

5. Re: 10 day route between Colombo->Ahmedabad. Excl. Delhi + Agra.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 19, 2014