We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please advice - itinerary

Bucharest, Romania
2 posts
Save Topic
Please advice - itinerary

Dear friends , could you please help me with advice regarding itinerary.

I arrive by plane in Thiruvananthapuram in 1st of april and leave also by plane from Kolkata at the end of the month.

Therefore I have an entire month to get from Kerala to Kolkata and absolutely no idea as what could be my itinerary.

My plan is to travel by train.

Have you got any ideas that could help me scketch a timetable?

I must mention it would be my first trip to India.

Thank you in advance.

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please advice - itinerary

Thiruvananthapuram to kolkata is a long trip and you will be really having a lots to explore.

instead of visiting on specific spots you can split in 3 parts.

10 days in Kerala, 10 days in Tamil Nadu and 10 days in kolkata

so that you can feel the essence of each place including people, culture, tradition. almost everything wil be different on these places.

hint us with your interests. and also tentative idea.

Bucharest, Romania
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Please advice - itinerary

Thanks for feedback.

Considering I havențt deen to India yet, it is quite hard for me to pick from all landmarks this is why I am seeking advice.

The idea would be this mont to get a glimpse of India's specific. I am not instristed in either a rest hollyday or spiritual tour but more like a taste of India's originality. therefore I am interested to blend in the croud and to feel the vibrations, instead of museums or beaches. More like a backpacking adventure.

This trip to India is for me rally the beggining of a longer trip. My first instinct was for me to get train tickets in order to incorporate in this trip Taj Mahal, for me it is the very representeation of India. Considering I got the plane tickets as I did a reconsidered that it would by "quite" out of the way. And decided that I should take a more direct route, becouse the time is limited and distances are longer than i expected. But on the direct route I don't have any ideea what should i see.

So if you have any ideea that could help me , please shoot.

Thank you !

Alex

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please advice - itinerary

April will be hot almost throughout india and north will be hotter 40deg +, south 35+

taj mahal will be out of your route.

i will mention my draft over TN. will trey mentioning about kerala soon.

you can start your research

Chennai region:

Chennai- happening capital of TN, have beaches, temples and busy always. There are academies for music and dance. and have transportation for all the cities in TN.

Kanchipuram - 1.5 hours travel from chennai holds many temples with the pallava architecture. and also silk dress 1-2 days.

mahabalipuram - 1 hour in ECR from chennai, Shore temple and cave / stone carvings. morning till evening.

pondicherry - 2 hours on ECR from chennai, pondicherry colony still holds their infrastructure. aurobindo ashram, auroville is located here. 1 day but if you wish to stay in ashram you need to have prior reservation.

Thanjavur region:

Kumbakonam- i cant say the temples it holds. :)

Trichy: centre of TN and well connected. it holds a dam built on 2A.D. srirangam temple: worlds largest functioning hindu temple.

Thanjavur - holds the palace of raja raja cholan, and his marvel construction The Big Temple staning charmingly over 1000 years now. many dance and music classes /stores are there.

Madurai region:

Meenakshi amman temple, kal-alagar temple.

rameshwaram, kanyakumari(lands end of india)

there are still many places i havent mentioned. will update this draft once you do a little research :)

Kochi (Cochin...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Please advice - itinerary

Hi Alex,

As you ahve an entire one month you explore more and experience India,

I would suggest something a something as mentone below,

10 for kerala, another 10 days for Rajasthan and delhi including jaipur, tajmahal etc and the rest days in calcutta,,and if its in april you need to plan the itinrary as soon as possible as getting train tickers would be a big task.

regards

keralatourismcatalogue

5. Re: Please advice - itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 09, 2014