We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

Can anyone please advise on the best city (or cities) in India for buying good quality and hand blocked cotton and silk fabrics please. I am planning a ten day trip so could possibly visit two cities on my trip.

Many thanks for any advice

Mysuru (Mysore...
Destination Expert
for Mysuru (Mysore)
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

It would probably be Jaipur with centres at Sanganer and Bagru. Indore with Chanderi and Maheshwar could be another option

Ahmedabad ( Pethapur), Varanasi( for block makers), Kolkatta, and Hyderbad=Machalipatnam are other places which have been traditionally known to produce block printed fabrics in cotton and silk.

You could have a look at the websites of Bandhej,Fabindia, and Anokhi to get a sense of the range as well as read of the work of Sally Holkar at Maheshwar an

Tiruchirappalli...
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

there are multiple places actually. which part of the country you were truing to vist?

in south kancheepuram, tamilnadu is famous for hand oven silk materials

Ireland
Level Contributor
13 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

Many thanks for that. I am planning to visit Mumbai and Jaipur and hope to buy some ready made garments from wholesalers as well as fabric to send back for getting items made up at home. The Alibaba site has been very useful as well.

Chennai
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

Hi, I am Sai, 45, Male from Chennai, South India. I worked in the apparel industry for 9 years, then moved on to IT services for 12 years. Recently I started my own business of fabric sourcing. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. To answer your question, India is a vast country and difference parts are popular for different kinds of fabric. North India is known for Handlooms (specifically cottons) and Synthetic Mill Made fabric. South India is famous for Silk and Powerloom cottons. How ever when it comes to fabric dyeing and printing, each state has its own traditional designs and prints, especially hand made block prints, etc. You get a variety of prints, embroidery and other colorful and dazzling mirror work, beads, etc. in India. If you are familiar with the variety and know what you want, you just have to specify the name. If not, the best approach is to specify your end use (upholstery - curtains, bed spreads, table linen, etc or skirts, shirts, blouse, shorts, etc. I work with some of the best in the Industry and we also offer Special wash effects, Denims, Leather apart from a variety of fabrics, dyeing, printing and hand worked garments. Thanks & Best Regards

Sai Prasad

dsaiprasad@yahoo.com

Chennai

Tauranga, New...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

hi

I read your information about sourcing fabrics and I would like to be able to talk further with you how the best way to bring design samples to india , then source the fabrics and then have the back up to produce and supply them. I am in Nz,have been in the clothing industry for 30 yrs and would like to have an agent who is honest relaible and will reap the benefits through trust and thoroughness .

kindest regards

Megan

Chennai
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

Hi Megan,

You can reach me at dsaiprasad@yahoo.com.

Please send me an email to this id of give me your id.

Regards

Sai

7. Re: Which is the best city for buying good quality cotton fabric

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, February 04, 2015