We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few tips on India Travel

London, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
A few tips on India Travel

Be Careful about Food and Water

Diseases from food and water are the leading cause of illness in travelers. Follow these tips for safe eating and drinking:

- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially before eating. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand gel (with at least 60% alcohol).

- Drink only bottled or boiled water, or carbonated (bubbly) drinks in cans or bottles. Avoid tap water, fountain drinks, and ice cubes. If this is not possible, learn how to make water safer to drink.

- Do not eat food purchased from street vendors. (Unless you are brave)

- Make sure food is fully cooked.

- Avoid dairy products, unless you know they have been pasteurized.

- Diseases from food and water often cause vomiting and diarrhea. Make sure to bring diarrhea medicine with you so that you can treat mild cases yourself.

Hope it helps people!

Meisel M

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few tips on India Travel

It's good advice. I am super careful about water....though these days I'll drink things with ice which I started out never doing. But, don't do as I do, I would also suggest avoiding ice as you don't know what kind of water they used to make it. I have seen packets of ice where they say they use RO (purified) water and that should be ok, but it can be risky.

I'm not a big one for lots of hand washing or using hand gels though my family members use them. I wash my hands as I normally would at home.

I'm not that careful with food anymore but I wouldn't eat raw fruit and vegetables I haven't peeled myself as they could be washed with unsafe water...oh, with water, I brush my teeth with bottled or boiled water too.

Food, I think some of the stomach problems can also be from eating food cooked with more, or different oil than you are used to. I also think some people are sensitive to spices they're not used to. So, sometimes the tummy problems will not be caused by a bug/germ.

agra india
Destination Expert
for Agra, Jaipur, New Delhi
Level Contributor
8,004 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few tips on India Travel

Good tips, will be usefull for many tourists. Thanks for taking time to post it.

deepak

Edited: 9:41 am, June 21, 2012
Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few tips on India Travel

Also be careful when you take a shower that you don't drink the water.

Hounslow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few tips on India Travel

.... and after consuming bottled water, dont forget to crush the bottles so that they are not used again. Starrtling as it may sound, believe me many of them end up back into shops ready to be sold again with water that can not be called safe. And you wont be able to make out good from bad.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few tips on India Travel

To follow what the OP and Jo said, to be safe when out and about only drink bottled water or pop and only when you crack the seal yourself. You'll find both for sale chilled or on ice, so you can still drink cold w/out actualy ice in your drink. But don't forget, on a hot day too much very cold drink can also affect yout tummy!

6. Re: A few tips on India Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 23, 2013