We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is India cheaper than Thailand ?

UK,London
Level Contributor
149 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
is India cheaper than Thailand ?

can someone clue me in on how much more expensive /cheaper India is compared to thailand. so at least i have an idea...for example what are budget accommodation prices,going out and travel around expenses ? any advice will be much valued.Thanks

Delhi
Level Contributor
731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is India cheaper than Thailand ?

Generally, Thailand and India are at similar price levels..... that is my experience.

1. Hotels in larger cities of India will be more expensive than in say Bangkok.

2. McDonalds is more or less similar - India may be cheaper in some cases.

3. cabs would be cheaper in Bangkok.

4. Restaurants would be similar in thailand.

It basically dependant on the exchange rate.

Hyderabad, India
Destination Expert
for Hyderabad
Level Contributor
3,683 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is India cheaper than Thailand ?

As Iam an Indian Resident and visited Thailand twice as a tourist I would say overall it would cost the same the only difference I observed was that you would pay 25 to 35% more on the Hotel Cost (for basic 3* hotels and for 5* hotels the rate difference may be more than 50% in India) however when it comes to Food at Restaurants in Thailand I observed the it was costlier by 25% when compared to similar Indian Restaurants so overall it gets balanced.

I would say you should choose the destination based on how you would spend your holidays if they are Beach Holidays or visiting Historical places and do a price comparision on the hotels and you can then decide accordingly.

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Destination Expert
for Kolkata (Calcutta), Darjeeling, India
Level Contributor
8,474 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is India cheaper than Thailand ?

On an average, India is cheaper. Yes the hotels are more expensive for the same quality as in Thailand, but you can get basic acco here too if you want.

The food, transport and general commodity price levels are much higher in Thailand than in India, although India is fast catching up.

4. Re: is India cheaper than Thailand ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 02, 2010