We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
India
Search

Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
264 reviews
73 helpful votes
Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Having struggled to find the official Indian Visa website to save on costs (.gov.in and NOT a .org.in which is a similar site that looks more or less identical to the official site - .gov.ini. Also the .org.in sites seem to charge a fee for using their application services - see the disclaimers on the websites). You may encounter a few problems using the official .gov.in site.

I wondered - has anyone else had issues with the official .gov Indian Visa Website crashing when getting part way through completing a form? It took me a few days to figure out and I thought that their website was just crashing all of the time. However, I seemed to get it to work by going through the process below:

When applying online and getting to the stage Details of Visa Sought, the website seemed to crash many times and would not let me move any further forward. The system would also not let me back in for around 10 to 15 minutes. My browser showed an error message when trying to go back to the site indicating that their website was offline (Note, I tried Google, IE, Edge, Firefox and I also cleared my browser history when the message displayed and I received errors). The way I found around this was to only put the minimal amount of information in that was required in the boxes and then using the Save and Temporarily Exit option, then going back into it again and adding the additional information I missed the first time around. The information I did NOT add in and seemed to be the issues was around: 1) Cities Previously Visited In India (I put many and ran out of space and got around this by removing commas - Put visited NONE and leave blank on the first save) - 2) Countries Visited in the last 10 years (Again I had similar issues to above - so leave blank on the first Save). 3) SAARC Country Visit Details (I had Sri Lanka with "year" and visited 1 time - but left blank and went back to it after another Save). 4) I also had an & sign in a line address, so removed this and put "and" instead, during another Save & Exit. If the & sign was a problem, you may also have issues with commas. In the end, I had NO commas anywhere on the page.

If you have any issues with pages prior to Details of Visa Sought, you might want to try a similar approach to the one above.

It took some time once I started working my way through it via the Save and Temporarily Exit, but after following the process above, I managed to obtain my Indian Visa for the expected 75USD. Also, for the payment, I tried to pay via PayPal and the system stalled, so I selected Axis card payment method and all was fine.

I would be keen to know if anyone else has / had similar problems and I am sure this topic may help other in applying.

116 replies to this topic
Coralville, Iowa
Level Contributor
20 posts
422 reviews
273 helpful votes
1. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Thank you so much for your post. I was banging my head against the wall because the visa site would crash on the last page. After reading your suggestions, I logged back in and deleted all the commas. SUCCESS! Now I just have to wait three days to see if the application is approved. Thanks, again!

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
2. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Ohhh man,

You are a lifesaver!!!!!!!!! muuahhhhh!!!

I was going through the same problem and was nearly crying due to frustration and worry, as we have already bought our tickets to fly to India in less than three weeks (overestimating the e-visa website).

I tried different browsers, ISPs, computers etc- all crashing on the same page.

I rang the so called 'helpdesk' and they (Ravi) said in a sleepy harsh voice, "there is no problem with website, you try different ISP". When I mentioned I have tried that and begged to help, he just repeated the same.

Then I sent an email to the 'helpdesk' - no response yet!!

Then I started Googling to find any other way to apply the visa and found that '.org website you mentioned' and got carried away with its layout, assuming its the Government website. But, while I filling the application, (luckily) I received a call from them offering help with the application (My first thought then was - customer service, from India ???? - no way!!!!). While talking to him and asking questions, I realised they are private providers charging USD 130.00 for the visa (against USD 50.00 with govt website). I was not happy with the amount and stopped the application right there while he was on the phone.

Then I came across your comments and tried the way you suggested.... HURRAAAYYYYYYY... finally the applications went through....

Thank you so much...

Arun

Cardiff, United...
4 posts
1 review
3. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Thank you kindly for your advice, having written out the page you mention three times and each time the site crashed after pressing "Save and continue" I will try out your approach after a cup of coffee.

Thank you again.

Neil

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
4. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

The website is a disgrace. I have had all the problems you outline PLUS when trying to go back to 'pay later' I put in the application ID and get it rejected because of 'birthdate not recognised'

I took a screen shot of each page and saved these as I went, so I KNOW that both were correct.

I have to wonder if it is deliberate - after all, if it is virtually impossible for us to do it direct, we are going to HAVE to go to one of the 'pay fee' sites, are we not. Nice little earner there....

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
167 reviews
115 helpful votes
5. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

It is more likely that the Application ID has been entered incorrectly. It starts with capital letter I.

Kent UK
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
44 helpful votes
6. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Indianvisaonline.gov.....

Not the easiest website to navigate and the hardest part was attaching a copy of the passport. The ID photo was accepted in jpeg form with no problems but it wouldn't accept the copy of my passport in the same form. It took an age to convert to a pdf file and to get it to the correct size and by then the site kept timing out. The pdf file finally loaded but when I went back to make sure all the pages were correct the copy of my passport was a blank page. I pressed submit expecting all sorts of problems. Less than 24 hours I receive an email stating my visa had been granted. Now all printed and ready to go, yay.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
167 reviews
115 helpful votes
7. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Hi CoppoKentUK . Well despite your problems you were successful:)

If you need to apply again in the future you could have a read of the e-Visa Guide. It has all the information; what documents and in what format you need to have ready before applying, a link to the official website and a walkthrough of the application form. Plus much more.

Not being able to view the passport upload is a browser issue. The upload can be viewed when using Chrome for certain and in most cases, Internet Explorer.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297…

Edited: 10:46 am, September 10, 2018
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
40 reviews
35 helpful votes
8. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Used the e- visa guide and applied for mine yesterday. No problems whatsoever using Chrome. Visa granted and arrived in inbox 12 hours later

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
12,412 posts
167 reviews
115 helpful votes
9. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

Good news cedezlepassage.

1 post
10. Re: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Save

seriously! has complaining done anything to make this website better? Be better at websites India!!!! I am so embarrassed by how bad it is... brain drain? or just the worst cause no one cares???

Reply to: Indian Visa Application Website Keeps Crashing When Applying
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted