We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Money in Bhutan

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Money in Bhutan

Hi All.

Can someone tell me I am travelling in October. I will be entering Bhutan from Kathmandu.

Suggestions on changing Australian dollar. Can I change it at the airport. Or do I change it in Kathmandu. Or am I better to carry US dollars.

Thanks

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

Hello bwisetraveller,

Welcome to TripAdvisor forum for Bhutan!

The counter in the airport will have the same rate as in the banks of Bhutan so you will be able to change the money in the airport. The hotels will also change money depending on the hotel you are staying but the rates will be little bad.

More information about money in this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293844-s601/Bhutan:B…

Good Luck!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

Thankyou Rhythm D does that mean also in hotels they will accept Australian dollar ?

France
Destination Expert
for Nepal, Tibet, Bhutan, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

Hello again,

I mean to say that you can change AUD to Ngultrum but I am not sure if you are able to pay in AUD. You might be able to change and pay in local currency. I doubt if all hotels accept foreign currency, better you exchange the AUD in the counter in Airport and pay for things in local currency. I took US$ with me and exchanged in the airport. Later when I was running out of money I changed some US$ again in the hotel.

Good Luck!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

Hello,

Thanks for that info .

I think Ill just set on changing it at the airport.

Cheers !!

France
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

Hello again,

Good luck for your adventure there. I am sure that you will learn things easily and practically once you are there yourself.

Happy traveling!

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

You might be able to pay with foreign currency, but in the way that you'll have to change it at an unfavorable rate, and then pay in Ngultrums. What do you want to pay in hotels, as lodging and meals are paid for in the package? Drinks? These are paid in local currency. It is best to change in the airport, after getting your luggage, when you see the exit at the left, turn right for the bankcounter. It works much faster than the banks in town.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

no need to change AUD$ to US$

alcohol will probably be the biggest expense that has to be paid in local currency

change some money at the airport

if you need more later your guide will help you find somewhere to change it

you can tip with AUD$

8. Re: Changing Money in Bhutan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 24, 2014