We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Bhutan

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Bhutan

Im planning on heading to Bhutan in May and am wondering what the general tipping guidelines are?

How much would you tip the the guide at the end of the trip? Or drivers? Would you tip them after every day or at the end of the trip and do they prefer local currency or American dollars?

I just want to have a good idea of how much extra I should bring for these sorts of things as well as finding out appropriate times to tip, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

Hi Hi,

I was advised to give tip of USD 2 to 5 each day to the driver and USD 2 to 5 each day to the guide. If you are happy with the services you get, you can tip more and vice versa. I gave my tips at the end of my trip.

Of course, this is just a guideline and I believe tipping is a good gesture. You can look at other postings here, under the topic, Tipping.

You can pay them in USD or EUR if you don't have enough NU. They have no problem changing USD or EUR into NU in Bhutan.

Happy holiday.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

I'm afraid that the mentioned sums are too low, I have tipped much more especially lately. You can look at the topic under the top questions, here in the right upper corner of this page.

The tips are usually given at the last night's dinner, which is the only time the driver will join the meal.

For the driver give in local currency if you can, the guide can be more flexible.

Have a great trip.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,379 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

For a 7 day trip we gave the driver and guide € 100.- each. Maybe that is on the high end, but it was fine for us as both did an absolut great job. We also gave the money at the last evening.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

It seems to depend upon country of origin. US visitors tip guide $10 per person per day. Half that amount for driver. Guides tell me that many nationalities tip less. Remember guides do not have work throughout the year, maybe just 1/4 or 1/2 of the year if they are extremely fortunate.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
828 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

We tipped the guide $10 per day and the driver $5 - both in US Dollars. We checked with our agent regarding the payment in US Dollars and she said that there was no problem.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

My husband & I are travelling to Bhutan end of May from U.S. Trying to get idea of necessary inoculations, Appropriate clothing for weather that time of year?

Thx

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
676 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

For information, I didn't go for any inoculation for my 2 trips to Bhutan. Your guide will ensure your food is prepared in hotels or restaurants.

I bought alot of fruits along the roadside. I just make sure i washed them well with bottled water before i eat. No stomach problem.

Just remember don't touch any animals to avoid get any dieases as most of them are strays animals.

May is a good month to visit, with alot of flowers along the roads. Daytime is about 15-20 degree. But night can be cold if you visit Phobjikha or Bumthang. At least bring a good jacket with you. Not the thick winter type.

Hope you enjoy your holiday.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

Thx so much!

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,619 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

mel s,

As your post is not an answer to the original post, please start a new thread, so more will see it and you'll probably get more answers too. Thank you.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in Bhutan

Ok. Thx