We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash Machines

MKE, WI
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cash Machines

I have printed out a list of ATMs in Bhutan. I cannot find out if mine will be accepted--it's a Visa card in the "PLUS" network.

Does anyone know if the Bhutan ATMs accept the "PLUS" network cards?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
829 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash Machines

I don't think Bhutan's banking system is linked to any international banking system regarding ATM withdrawal as of now and in the near future.

Bhutan's banking system is still not up to International Banking's Standard. Travellers need to bring USD or EUR cash to Bhutan and convert to NU in Bhutan.

Hotels and some shops do accept USD or EUR cash for payment. If there is any change, they will return to you in NU. Shops also accepts INR in 100 or 500 denomination. Credit card payment is very limited in Bhutan. I think only 5 stars hotels and a few shops have that facilities.

If you need to purchase any silk textile in rural Bhutan, you better bring few thousands of USD or EUR cash along with you. If not, a few hundreds should be enough for tipping, souvenirs and other expenses.

Please correct me if I am wrong regarding this.

Edited: 10:29 pm, January 31, 2013
Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash Machines

I think you can use any cards in Bhutan and the maximum limit for each card is around 500 USD (not so sure). But if you are carrying cards with Cyrus connection, then you cannot use it here in Bhutan. But for the payment to hotels and local shops, you can use any card.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash Machines

I'd take cash, and not rely on the ATM's. And if they work with your card, only in the west you can find most of them. Ask your bank or credit card company if they have any connection with ATM's in Bhutan. Take cash, change in the airport, as the rate is the same as the bank in town. Try to avoid changing in hotels, as they have a worse rate. At the end of your trip you can change your extra money back when showing the receipt in the airport.

Mariana
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash Machines

at times ATM is out of order or few of them were not accepting at all. To avoid the hassle and concerns of getting cash, bring cash rather than relying on something uncertain.

5. Re: Cash Machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014