We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour holidays to Bhutan

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Tour holidays to Bhutan

Can anyone recommend a good UK based tour operator who does tour holidays to Bhutan? I haven't got weeks to spare (maybe 10 day trip) so would need to fit in as much as possible. I used Explore! (trip to Cambodia also for 10 days) but wondered if there were any other firms people could recommend, I would be travelling alone so single supplement is a major price consideration!

Thimphu, Bhutan
Level Contributor
95 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

Why don't you contact directly through the local tour operator based in Bhutan. They will be able to provide you the worth of service of your tour payment because commission for the middle man will be waived off.

Even if you arrange through UK based company, they need to use a local operator because things are quiet different for Bhutan.

Thank you.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

I agree with Tashi, that anyhow you'll have a local touroperator, and if you deal directly with him, you save commission. Some might even want to give you this as a discount. The single supplement is 40$ per night, not so much if you see that you have your own car and driver, and guide just for you. You can make an itinary which fits your wishes, and you don't have to take an itinary made by others. If you prefer some company, try to form your own group, you can organise everything by mail. Read the trip reports, to see what others liked. And return to the forum for more specific questions, when you're ready to make your plans.Enjoy the planning.

3. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:32 am, April 30, 2013
Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
436 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

I have to agree with all the previous replies - book directly with a Bhutanese agent & cut out the middle man ..... saving yourself money in the process!

It is a very common & well established practice to book directly, and the tourism industry is well controlled and overseen by the Government in Bhutan, so your usual worries about agents disappearing with your money when you have no ABTA like fallback is not something that I have heard of in Bhutan.

Have a look through the TA forums and the 'Top Questions' sections and you can see how easy and common it is - do a bit of research on the Bhutan travel agent to see who the well reputed ones are & take it from there ..... you then can set your itinerary exactly as you wish.

You can book your flights to/from UK directly to one of the feeder airports (from UK either Kathmandu or Delhi are easiest) and your Bhutan agent will arrange your flight into & out of Paro, and look after you from there on in.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

Thank you for your replies but I would prefer to go through a tour operator in the UK (which is why I asked that question!). Then I know that everything is sorted out & have nothing to worry about once I get there, this probably seems terribly dull to most people but I have an extremely busy life & have no time to sort flights/tours/hotels etc plus I prefer to know i some some financial security as I know people who have done what you are all suggesting in other countries in Asia & then got there to find they have problems & some have lost money. I will be travelling alone as no one else I know wants to go there! I will be on limited time so a tour suits my needs.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
2,821 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

I understand your wishes and worries, but in Bhutan things go different: the local operator takes care of everything, including your flight from Delhi or bangkok, all the hotels, and sightseeing. When you;ll be in Bhutan you'll see what I mean. As long as you go with an officailly recognised operator, like the ones recommended here on the forum, you'll pay the money into the Bank of Bhutan only in the name of the operator. He'll get his share only after you finish your tour. So money-wise you're safe.

If you tell us your interests and wishes, we can help you making an itinary, which you can send for suggestions to some local operators.

Now, if you go with a UK based company,like Explore, you'll get a pre-fixed itinary you'll have to share with others. If you go by yourself, you can do and go as you like. I've been on Explore tours in other parts of the world, and they were good. So try to contact them about Bhutan. And you can try to ask some local operators about the UK based companies they work with. Good luck.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

I'm really looking for a prefixed itinerary with a small group (such as explore do & already have their brochure) thank you for your reply

Portsmouth, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

We used World Expeditions and did a small group tour. We had a great time.

Harwich, Essex
Level Contributor
167 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

Thank you! Finally an answer to my original question!!!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour holidays to Bhutan

HI there, I hope it's not too late to reply to this. We are travelling to Bhutan on 3rd November, and will take in Khtamnadu on the way and Bhaktapur on the way home. We booked through Cleveland Collection, our agent is Karen Nyoni. Yes, I guess we are paying her company something, but , like you, I wanted to know it would all be done and dusted - already she has dealt with a change in flight scheduling for us, not sure what I would have done about that by myself! I highly recommend this company, we have had four holidays with them - all excellent. Good luck with your travels,