We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Treks in December

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Treks in December

We have an option of 3 treks in December: Druk, Samtengang and Gasa Tsachu [hot springs]. We would like a leisurely trek and see mountain scenery. Fitness is average - have not been exercising much. We would appreciate any advice on the climatic conditions, hazards and difficulty of treks, please.

Thimphu District...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Treks in December

Coming from sea level and doing over 3000mts will be tough especially if you are not fit. So, Druk Path trek will not be of your choice. During December it snows in the mountain passes and the route in some places are inaccessible so it will be better if you opt for much lighter trek like the Samtengang and Gangtey trek.

Gasa Tshachu trek is no more an attraction after the hot spring was washed away by the flood this year. Now there is dirt track just four hours walk from Gasa and two hours from the hot spring site. So, I feel its not worth it knowing the fact that its not possible to go beyond Gasa considering the cold temperature and likely snow and ice making the trek dicey.

The best trek i would suggest is Samtengang during winter. Its a moderate trek through villages. I am sure you will love it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Treks in December

Dear Eezin

Thank you for your advice. I now have a better idea to inform my friends. Do you have any advice on another trek - Bumdrak trek which is near to the Tiger nest monastery, please?

Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Treks in December

We would like to visit Takstsang Monastery in mid December. Is it advisable to do the trek up there at that time of the year, please? What do we need to bring to enjoy the visit? Your advice will be appreciated.

Thimphu District...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
26 helpful votes
4. Re: Treks in December

Hi,

I would call Bumdrak route as a day hike. You can camp overnight but in not a trek in the exact sense.

I think Samtengang trek will suit you the best. Its a moderate trek passing through villages. For a first timer in Bhutan I guarantee you you will have a wonderful experience.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
393 posts
141 reviews
341 helpful votes
5. Re: Treks in December

Hi All,

I am also coming to Bhutan in December and are inclined to do the Druk Path trek. We know it will be cold and we have bought cold weather clothing. We have been trekking and have some experience in longer walks. Will the Druk path still be possible to do? Can anyone give some indication of the weather and any tips? Are the skies generally clear in December?

6. Re: Treks in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 pm, December 05, 2009
Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Treks in December

Hi

Thank you for your recommendation on Samtengang trek. We did the trek in Dec 2009 and as you had predicted, it was a wonderful trip with blue sky and late autumn scenery. We had a chance to chat with the villagers who are always friendly and learnt a lot about their lives and culture. The children and students are impressive. They speak in very good English. We met them studying for their exams in the garden near Punakha monastery, along the trek and campsites and the monastery college. We had lovely meals as our great chef could cook better than some food we had in restaurants. Once again, thank you for your advice.

8. Re: Treks in December

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:09 am, June 20, 2010
Thimphu District...
Level Contributor
116 posts
39 reviews
26 helpful votes
9. Re: Treks in December

Its good to know that you enjoyed the trek sonyachen.

Maryland...Bhutan will always welcome you

10. Re: Treks in December

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 20, 2010