We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hot Stone Bath?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
412 posts
132 reviews
80 helpful votes
Hot Stone Bath?

Do I need to pack a bathing suit for a hot stone bath? Can anyone tell me about this experience and whether it is worth trying to squeeze one more thing into my carry-on? Thanks.

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
144 reviews
172 helpful votes
1. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

Well,you don't have to take your bathing suit in your carry-on as in the plane it will be freezing.

Yes, if you want, you can invite a hot-stone bath in several places. It is something I've seen only in Bhutan. The tub is made of a trunk, simple wood, water is taken from a river, in our case from a medicinal stream. The stones too are taken from the stream, and heated over an open fire, then put in the tub, until the water has the right temperature for you,,it is mixing the stones with the cold water. In the water they put some herbs, we received Arra, an alcoholic drink, and enjoyed it very much.This was all in the open, diner was afterwards, also outside. It might be that some hotels offer an inside version, but I liked the natural outside setting.

Ask your touragent about the possibility in advance, so he can arrange adequate time. Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
412 posts
132 reviews
80 helpful votes
2. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

Sounds lovely! Thanks. As for the bathing suit,

I guess I meant is this something you do wearing a bathing suit or do you do it privately where you can be naked? (I ONLY have a carry-on!)

Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
4,102 posts
144 reviews
172 helpful votes
3. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

Where we were, it was with a lot of others, locals as well, our guide driver, cook, porters, and participants in the seminar we held. So even in a bathing suit I felt very exposed, as usually dress is conservative in Bhutan. The locals used the same bath after we got out, I heard that this is done often.

So take your most covering bathing suit, and have fun.

Penn Valley...
Level Contributor
139 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

Nezzie.....we were not offered a public option. Ours was arranged at a hotel in Bumthang. Our guide arranged it. It is a private room, with 2 long, narrow tubs....one tub for each of us. There is a grate down low, feet level, at the end of the tub, and a guy stands outside (but he can't see in) and you press a button on the wall to tell him if your water is too cold, and he will add more hot rocks to the grate. We did not need a bathing suit! It was relaxing,but probably not nearly as culturally interesting as an open public one.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
412 posts
132 reviews
80 helpful votes
5. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

Thanks for the good description. You're right - private doesn't seem that intriguing!

Thimphu District...
Level Contributor
116 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

A bathing suit for a hot-stone bath would be preferred if you are going to a local farm house otherwise you can take a dip in your under garments.

Or another option is to wrap yourself in a huge towel and remove it and enter the trough naked like most local females.

london
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
7. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

We had a hot stone bath last year while on a Homestay in Paro. It was situated in an out building i.e. cowshed. Our host filled the tub and popped back during our soak to warm it up with new hot stones, so I was gald I had worn a bathing suit. The whole Homestay was a great experience and one I treasure from our trip. Oh our guide arranged that we arrived early in the afternoon at the Homestay as anther couple were coming for an evening meal and also a soak in the (same)hot stone bath.

Connecticut USA
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

I would recommend the hot stone bath at Lodge Rinchenling near the Swiss Guest House. There are two tubs side-by-side and the price is $20 for one person, $30 for couple. I did not wear a suit.

I really enjoyed the bath.

9. Re: Hot Stone Bath?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 18, 2010