We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

500 and 2000 rupee notes

Manipal, India
5 posts
Save Topic
500 and 2000 rupee notes

I'm travelling to bhutan from India. I heard that the 500 and 2000 notes are not allowed. What should I do? Can I withdraw money in Bhutan, or can I exchange Indian currency at the border or inside? I'm going on a 10 day trip.

3 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, Holland
Destination Expert
for Bhutan
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 500 and 2000 rupee notes

You can exchange at the border, and sometimes you can use ATM's but don't count on them.

Smaller notes are accepted, so take those. And note that your change will be in local currency, which is at par with the INR

2. Re: 500 and 2000 rupee notes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:06 am, June 14, 2018

Manipal, India
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 500 and 2000 rupee notes

I can exchange even 500 and 2000 notes at the border right? What are these places where the exchange happens? Are they official places or private ones? And how much do they charge for the exchange?

Reply to: 500 and 2000 rupee notes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted