We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for a Australian

annesam
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for a Australian

I am heading to Africa on a tour. We are crossing into Zambia on a ferry on the Zambia river. Will I be able to get a Visa on the other side?

Victoria, Seychelles
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for a Australian

We just returned from there with no issue getting visa on arrival, you should use US cash if you can, I think it was $50 per person. However be prepared to show proof of yellow fever vaccinations if you are going back via South Africa as we did not and they would not allow us to fly back to SA.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for a Australian

"we did not and they would not allow us to fly back to SA"

Would you mind elaborating on this a bit more? The question of YF comes up quite often and it's useful to hear these stories. Were you denied boarding by the airline? Which airline was it and at which airport?

Thanks

Victoria, Seychelles
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for a Australian

It was at livingstone, SA airlines, but at the time there were 3 flights departing nod we were the only ones without the yellow fever cards. Had a heated discussion when checking in and was advised no way do we get on, at the other end they check the cards when you lineup in immigration so very strict. We could not board.

Victoria, Seychelles
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for a Australian

I understand if only in transit to SA do you not require the proof

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for a Australian

Thanks. I've seen the authorities checking YF cards at Lusaka for flights to SA also.

I'm not sure about not requiring it if only in transit. I don't think I'd want to chance it. Certainly when the requirement was first introduced, I heard you still needed it even in transit.

annesam
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for a Australian

Thanks for the replies - I will have my $50 ready

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
87 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for a Australian

Do you need a pre complete the forms you can get online?

Do I need photos for the visa?

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for a Australian

Do you need a pre complete the forms you can get online?

No but if you are arriving on a plane this might mean you can get in the queue quicker. I've never bothered, but I have my passport details memorised and can fill out a form pretty fast.

Do I need photos for the visa?

No

9. Re: Visa for a Australian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, February 22, 2015