We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinirary

Belgium
9 posts
Save Topic
itinirary

We are planning a trip to Zambia in September or October 2014.

As we visit relatives in SA we plan about 10 days in Zambia:

- 2 n South Kafue

- 2/3 n North Kafue

- 3 n South Luangwa

- 2 n extra Luangwa or Lower Zambezi NP

As we already went on safari in SA, Botswana, Namibia, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda we are looking for special places. A private safari for 2 person, small accomodations, safari tents, mid-range budget, wildlife, wildlife, wildlife, ...

All suggestions on location, number of days, safari companies are very welcome.

Mentioned in this post
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: itinirary

Firstly, by a "private safari", do you mean the sort where you have your own guide and vehicle and drive to the various parks? This isn't really how safaris are operated in Zambia, mainly because the distances between the main parks is so huge that driving isn't really practical. Mainly, people will fly between the parks and stay at camps where the game viewing activities are conducted with the camp's guides and vehicles. Even doing the transfers by air can be time consuming and it isn't cheap either. For that reason, I wouldn't add in Lower Zambezi just for 2 nights, with only 3 in South Luangwa. Not unless you want to be spending quite a lot of time and budget just on the transfers.

If you have 10 nights I would split it between South Luangwa and either Lower Zambezi or Kafue.

Choice of camps will depend on budget, but also how much you want to walk vs driving. Walking is a big part of safari in South Luangwa, and there are camps that offer exclusively walking.

A good place to start looking at the camps and getting an idea of pricing and locations would be Africa Travel resource's website which has lots of maps and photos of the camps with pricing. For South Luangwa, you'll also find the camp's rates on most of their websites.

To give you an idea of the flight pricing, a return Lusaka-Mfuwe for South Luangwa is about $550. Proflight is the company that operates many of the internal flights in Zambia. I have booked some of my trips to Zambia with UK tour operator Expert Africa. They also have lots of info and reviews on the camps on their website, together with example itineraries.

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
Lower Zambezi National Park
Lower Zambezi National...
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Lusaka
Lusaka
Lusaka Province, Zambia
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,305 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinirary

I would also recommend using Expert Africa, as I've already done 2 safaris with them. I'll also being doing a third safari one next year. If you stay at one of the various small camps in Zambia, there shouldn't be any need for your own private vehicle. You will never have more than 2 or 3 other people in your vehicle, and you will undoubtedly share their same interests. I can highly recommend either Tafika camp, Kaingo Camp and it's satellite Mwamba. I must stress that you should spend more than three nights in South Luangwa National Park. It's combination of walking safari, and night drives is unbeatable. At either Kaingo, Tafika, and Mwamba you'll have the choice of either walking or taking a vehicle safari in the morning.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: itinirary

Thanks Stokeygirl and Africanman

I 'll definitely take a look at the websites and camps you suggest.

Our number of nights is not limited to 10 nights but our budget is unfortunately not unlimited. If we stick to 2 parks only, which ones would you suggest? And how many nights would you suggest in each camp?

You seem quite fond of the walking safaris. WHat are they liken in Zambia? We already had a few , it was an experience and quite interesting but not for 3 days because most of the times they talk about termite hills and a lonesome elephant in the distance... I' d love to hear your reactions because to Africaman the combination of walking and night driving is unbeatable.

Hope to hear from you soon

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: itinirary

You won't see as much game on a walk as on a drive,because you cover less ground, and you won't get as close for obvious reasons. However, I've had a number of walks in South Luangwa where I have come close enough to lions and leopards, but also I just enjoy the peace of being in the bush on foot rather than bumping around in a noisy vehicle. Some of the small walking bush camps in South Luangwa are also very beautiful and remote. My favourite walking camps are Luwi and Nsolo (Norman Carr) and Chikoko and Crocodile (Remote Africa).

If you are unsure about walking, pick camps that offer a free choice of activities. At the time you are visiting, I'd highly recommend the north of the park. The game in that area really concentrates at the river at the end of the dry season and you should see a lot of lion activity. Plus the camps in the Nsefu sector (on the east bank of the river) report good wild dog sightings at that time of year. Tafika (Remote Africa) and the Robin Pope camps Nsefu and Tena Tena are all in the Nsefu sector. On the other side of the river are the Shenton safaris camps Mwamba and Kaingo, Lion Camp and Mchenja (Norman Carr). Of those, Lion Camp is likely to be the least expensive. Tafika is my favourite. I think a combination of Lion Camp and Tafika would be excellent and a good contrast of styles of camps. Tafika is more of a "bush camp" style with reed chalets, whereas Lion Camp reminds me more of a Botswana style camp.

Also, in Sept/Oct the carmine bee eaters will be nesting, and both Tafika and Kaingo have hides set up in front of colonies, which are spectacular. If you are a birder at all, South Luangwa is a great park.

I haven't been to Kafue and only briefly to Lower Zambezi. Lower Zambezi has options of canoeing and river activities. But I've heard late dry season is an excellent time for the Busanga Plains in Kafue. Camps in Lower Zambezi seem to be rather more expensive than South Luangwa, I'm not sure about Kafue. Whichever you choose I'm sure will be amazing. I would probably also go with 6 nights in South Luangwa (probably 2 camps for 3 nights each) and 4 in the other.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: itinirary

Thank you so much, really very helpfull in making up our minds on an itinerary.

We are looking forward going to Zambia!

Mentioned in this post
Zambia
Zambia
Africa
6. Re: itinirary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 23, 2014