We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zambia or Botswana Safari

Chicago
Level Contributor
99 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Zambia or Botswana Safari

I'm looking to go on safari next year - I've looked at a lot of places, but narrowed it down to Zambia and Botswana. Any advice? This would be for August/Sept. next year. I know Zambia is somewhat lower cost, and while that is nice, most important to me is big game viewing.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,854 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Zambia or Botswana Safari

I have had excellent game viewing in both countries- I would say the game viewing is on a par. Botswana at that time of year is very expensive, so on that basis I would choose Zambia for Aug/Sept.

I don't know if you are interested in any specific animals, but you should know that there are no rhino in the main parks in Zambia. There are a few white in Mosi au Tunya near Livingstone and black rhino in a special restricted area of North Luangwa. Similarly in Botswana, you have to go to the uber expensive camps on Chief's Island or I believe AndBeyond have recently reintroduced some into one of their concessions.

There are no cheetah in South Luangwa or Lower Zambezi. I think there is a chance in Kafue.

But South Luangwa is excellent for leopard and lion.

2. Re: Zambia or Botswana Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 01, 2014