We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
Save Topic
Safety

My 17 year old is due to travel on a school trip to Uganda on Tuesday, to Kirima in Kanunga in the south west mainly. But also Kampala and the Queen Eliz national park. We are worried about recent unrest. Anyone know if it is inadvisable?

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

The situation is in control, Bwindi is actually many miles from Kasese and Bundibugyo.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

I agree. The "unrest" was mainly targeted at local Police and "authority" in general.

The South west is many miles from where this happened. The enarest your daughter will get is when in QENP which is some 50 miles south of Kasese town.

No need to worry. she will love the country and return safe with lots of good memories.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

This article popped-up in a link i was following re reduced taxes in Tanzania. Is this the mountain range where gorilla's/chimpanzee's live? From 'East African' newspaper 09/07:

'At least 96 people have been killed in four days of clashes between tribal gunmen and Ugandan troops in the west of the country, the army said today. Five soldiers, five policemen and 11 civilians were also killed, making up a total of 96 dead in the mountainous and rural region that borders the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Fighting is ongoing, although the army says it is now only between its forces and the insurgents.

The snow capped and remote Rwenzori mountains include Africa’s third highest peak Mount Stanley, a national park popular with tourists wanting to trek into the vast, jungle-covered range. Fighting is not in the park itself.'

theeastafrican.co.ke/news/…index.html

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,230 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

As both Uganda Safaris and I said in our posts above Rwenzori Range is west of Fort Portal. Bwindi (where the Gorillas are) is in the Virunga range well to the south west.

Anyone going Chimp tracking, at Kanyo Pabidi or Kanyanchu, or just transiting South-North via Fort Portal will pass through Kasese but I very much doubt there will be any trouble to travellers.

When are you planning to go?

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,062 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

cheers. My geography re Uganda is pretty ltd re which range is which... in which NP. I can't afford flights etc to see chimps but have a friend who did a trek in Mountains of the Moon a few years ago and remember his vivid description of the bush. Very different to what I'm used to in Zim and RSA. Horrible for the minority tribespeople in Uganda and hopefully the police/military have stopped the violence. Does seem tourists are not a target. Tourism crucial to safeguard welfare of the gorillas and chimps.

6. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:43 am, June 11, 2015
7. Re: Safety

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

8. Re: Safety

Edited: 7:43 am, June 11, 2015
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety

Hello Kelley

Thanks for your contributions; we are always pleased to have new members giving support and input, however, kindly take a moment to read the TA Community Guidelines. Direct solicitation is not approved by them.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
3 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety

Though, my response comes late, Kampala is one of the safest Cities in Africa from my own opinion, generally they are to foreigners and an individual can go out of his/her way to assist in getting the right directions. However I advise befriending a local prior to making visits, gain their trust and they shall assist you in getting best offers in hotels,transportation..etc