We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to Kampala

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Topic
moving to Kampala

Hi i am moving to Kampala with my family and am wondering what life is like there. any information would be useful.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: moving to Kampala

1. What is significantly different in Kampala?

It is a typical "African" city. Hot and with some infrastructure shortcomings. The Traffic rules are more for show than adherence. Expect to see some crazy driving but again this is not 'just' Kampala but a general problem.

Climate makes a huge difference and security needs careful attention.

2. What is so special?

Hard to say. It is quite scenic set on its hills. It is quite green. The people are mostly very friendly towards visitors and of generous spirit. You will find that 'they' know you very quickly, unlike the cities of the "west" where folks scarcely know their neighbours after many years. Paris it is not!

3. What would I have liked to know before coming? Personally having been to many cities in sub Saharan Africa the answer would be "not a lot!". It was no surprise and there were no shocks in store.

@Shelly. why the PMs? Why not share your knowledge with all of us? That is what a D/E does!

Edited: 3:22 pm, July 03, 2014
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: moving to Kampala

Do you not think it might be rather rude to ask, what scope or (ie) salary one is going to realise? How I could possibly steer someone in the right schooling/residential location without some idea, is virtually impossible.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,436 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: moving to Kampala

No. I can see no need to ask those sort of questions.

The poster asked:-

- What's significantly different in Kampala ?

- What's so special about Kampala ?

- What would you have liked to know beforehand ?

Not where should I seek a property? This is, or was, a Travel forum not a property finder!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
197 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: moving to Kampala

Hello,

For us, it is going to be an expat experience. However, Tripadvisor is not necessarily the forum for this kind of discussion, but as a traveller, these are the types of questions that I ask myself before going somewhere.

Of course, it all depends on where you are coming from, so answers are biaised, but still, I find it interesting to have this type of feedback.

In a few months, I'll try to give this kind of feedback to fellow TA users.

Regards,

/M

But if you've got a good website for finding a house to rent, I'd be interested. Currently looking at Homehippo and KnightFrank.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: moving to Kampala

Yes, lots on Facebook, please PM me and I can give you the links. Not all obvious! I don't think KF are very helpful, and they certainly aren't as swift as renting directly from the current tenant. Things have changed dramatically - there is lots available at the moment, you just need to know how to access the information :)

bw

Shelly

Edited: 8:05 am, July 08, 2014
Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: moving to Kampala

Kampala is a beautiful city with great night life. There are shopping malls, supermarkets, friendly people and with alot of boda boda bikes. Its a congested city but so lovely. Be aware of pick pocketers as they may steal your precious items like smart phones. You will surely enjoy Kampala and the local brewed beer!!!!!

17. Re: moving to Kampala

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, July 15, 2015