We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book Stores

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Book Stores

I am volunteering in a local Kampala school in July. I am starting a library and bringing books from Canada. I want to also buy children's literature by African writers....or books that pertain to Uganda.

Anyone recommend a book store in Kampala? Any titles or authors?

Many thanks!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book Stores

Hello

Firstly, just ensure you vet everything that people give you. Secondly, is it a secondary or primary school? Besides anything inappropriate, ensure that things are culturally appropriate as well, and aren't stories about witches etc; or even (eg) sci-fi or other topics that are difficult to relate to.

Aristoc is really the place to go, the easiest place is Garden City, they do stock the syllabus books and the local authors. You can also try downtown, but you won't get discount from them, so it's hardly worth the hassle.

Books are expensive. Make sure that everything is catalogued and everything you hand over is signed for. I suggest you bring secondhand (even quite battered) there is no reading culture in schools here (for pleasure) so expect things you give to disappear, and don't mind about it.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book Stores

Aristoc is one stop for all!!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book Stores

Uganda bookshop on col ville street has some books about Uganda

4. Re: Book Stores

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 20, 2013