We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weekends in Kampala

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
2 weekends in Kampala

Hi....

I'm in Uganda for work and have two weekends free (Friday night through Sunday night). As a single female traveler, does anyone have any recommendations on stuff to do around Kampala? I'm thinking of visiting the equator and would really like to do a safari,but I've pretty much given up hope on that since I only have one night when taking into account the early am leave. I'd love to hear other ideas though! Also, any ideas on where to find a market a little less touristy than the one behind the parliament building? Thanks in advance.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

You can try following trips.

Day trip to Ngamba islands to see the chimpanzee.

Day trip jinja to visit the source of river Nile.

1 night 2 days trip Murchison falls

1 night 2 days trip to Queen Elizabeth national park.

1 night 2 days in lake mburo national park,

sun set cruise on lake Victoria.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Agree with Brovad, All the above options can fit in your schedule. if you want a local market, Nakasero and Owino can do better. There are also other craft shops on Buganda Road. Hope they are not so much touristy.

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Hello

I would get a private hire to take you to Amuka Lodge/Rhino Sanctuary - relatively easy drive (3 hours), see rhinos and their other rescued "pets" very nice time out of Kla. Contact Johan for details.

You could do the same at Rwakobo Rock, Lake Mburo, 4.5 hours - no park fees, unless of course you want to go in - not too bad really - they would help you I am sure with the driving - contact Chris or Katie for that.

Both allow access to nice places, with good accomm and food, and good people, and BONUS chance to get a taste of safari.

Haven in Jinja is another good option for a night away; Wildwaters will do lunch and pm visit-only or day visit - contact Winnie for that one.

Edited: 6:47 am, September 19, 2012
Kampala Uganda
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

I have had trouble finding markets in Kampala... I think the one on Buganda rd as mentioned is also pretty touristy and with prices considerable to Banana Boat. The above ideas of going for rafting in Jinga, the rhino sanctuary on the way to murchison, and Ngamba are all good... also Entebbe Educational Center has some great prgms (chimp habituation, zoo keeper for the day, etc)... Aerolink Uganda is offering 50% off their domestic flights, so you could try and get a safari/gorilla trek done in two days! If not consider sticking around Kampala for the weekend, loads of fun!

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Hi - all the above are good suggestions!! Nakawa market is great for clothes also! Nsambya craft market is cheaper than those in town and much much bigger!! I'm a british citizen, resident here and love to visit there when I get the chance! You can do a city tour here in Kampala, there is surprisingly a lot to see!! So manya ctivities to do in Jinja depending on how adventureous you are! White water rafting, quad biking, bungee jumping, Nile horse back riding, canoeing, kayaking, plus visit the source of the nile and the now submerged but still visible Bujagali falls. You can cross the equator and visit Mpanga Forest and Mabamba swamp!! Plenty to do in 2 days across the weekend!! Plus all of the national parks/forests mentioned above, can be reached by air.

Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

hey

im also a female travelling alone

will be visiting uganda oct3-6.

will be in kampala oct 3-4

im going to jinja for bungee jumping (oct 4) and then to sipi falls (oct5-6).

you are welcome to join :)

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Mabira Forest is about an hour drive once you're out of Kampala (in the same directin, but not as far as Jinja)

There's a beautiful open-air two-story lodge there, where you can relax, have a guided walk in the forest, and a drink or meal...or even stay overnight in one of the outlying cabins. One is called "Monkey Business (-: Either way, it's a lovely spot for a break from the city. We had lunch, took a one hour guided forest walk, and enjoyed the beautiful art in the lodge walls.

I too was a single female traveler (well--with driver!) for 2 of 3 weeks in Uganda and felt quite comfortable.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Thanks for the offer. I got to do an unexpected brief visit to Jinja while I was out working this week. It's a cool place!

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Well do please come back and tell us where you went, and what you did in the end.

bw

Shelly

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weekends in Kampala

Jinja is very nice with lots of accommodation options near the Nile river.