We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

London
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

As Serena hotel is beyond my budget, can anyone recommend a decent hotel with a swimming pool within walking distance from the town centre?

Thanks

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

You can try Hotel Equatorial

standard room is about 75$ for a single and 95$ for a double

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

Another one is hotel Triangle

single is 100$ ,120$ is for a double

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
523 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

Hotel African is also great but there are just plenty of them in Kampala central so its up to you to come up with your budget.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

I'm booked at Golf Course Hotel, but as haven't yet stayed, can't say much except the location is great and the pool looks nice!.

As Ongadenture asked above, what is your budget?

Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

Hi Jim and welcome to the forum.

Can you give an idea of what you mean by Town Centre? And how many minutes walk is acceptable? Besides the others above I can think of a few. PM if you prefer.

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

OMG UGASAF, Hotel Equatorial was closed along time ago. It is now a shopping centre . It is now a year ever since it was closed. I hope that you update your memory.

Jim2006, if you meant Kampala by Town centre, the best option that I can advise you to use is Grand Imperial Hotel at imperialhotels.co.ug/grandimperialoverview.h… . It is adjacent to Kampala Sheraton Hotel . A deluxe single costs around US$150 . It's vicinity is safe unlike for the nearby competitor Speke hotel which is always noisy in the night at rock bar with ladies of the night!!!

Edited: 6:20 pm, June 15, 2012
London
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

Thank you for your views. My budget is around $100 for a double and maybe slightly more if I have to stretch it a bit. I could do 15-20 mins walk from the town centre. I'll be attending meetings and don't wish to take taxis to and from the hotel.

Thanks

UGANDA
Level Contributor
483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

I think Grand Imperial Hotel is the best Idea for you . It costs US$ 170 per double and this is in the City centre . If you contact a tour operator , they may be able to get you a discounted rate that may be slightly lower than the rack rates.

Edited: 5:04 am, June 16, 2012
Kampala
Level Contributor
3,256 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

I recommend the Mamba Point Guesthouse - it has an excellent restaurant, is situated in Nakasero, on a quiet road. Often see business people coming and going there.

http://www.mamba-point.com/

Another one to consider is

http://fairwayhotel.co.ug/ - Asian-owned - I have never been, you'd need to check reviews, but fits budget.

Sheraton is well-situated, but I think more expensive by a yard. Would need to check that.

Not sure I would agree with Grand Imperial, as it's dated and dark - location is very central though, although I'm sure AAS is trying to help with your budget. I have eaten there, nothing special.

There are all sorts of other newer places, but don't want to suggest places too far in minutes for you.

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with swimming pool nr centre

Jim, If you're booking Shellys' recco of Mamba Point, book now (you can cancel later if you chose to) because they are small and due to its high rating on TA, they fill up fast.

Can't recall where i heard/read this, but owners of Mamba Point guest house and restaurant have changed--no longer the italian couple who ran the guest house, restaurant, and pizzeria. This MIGHT be wrong info, so check. And recent reviews are still fine, so it doesn't seem to have made a difference

The dates I needed at Mamba Point were already taken two months ago. I'm noy unhappy wit the alternative (Golf Course Hotel) but want the OP to be aware to enquire asap.