We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

A L
NYC
Level Contributor
79 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be moving to Kampala in June for at least a year. I'm looking to donate my time with volunteer work while my husband is at work but don't want to pay a fee. I am looking for a local place around central Kampala. Any advice on where to search?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Chicago, IL
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

I know a few places - what kind of work are you looking to do? Health, social work, education, arts and crafts, business, etc? Feel free to contact me directly if you want some recommendations.

Uganda
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

Let me know the kind of work you would want.I can can get you placement in orphanages but here you dont pay anything but you cater for your accommodation and food which can cost you about USD 15 a day.

For work in a safari company,there I can also get you placement where you get free accommodation,Transport and food.So suit your self and you can send me an email: robert@abacusvacations.com

3. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:53 pm, February 23, 2010
Edited: 6:53 pm, February 23, 2010
Shepperton, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

Hello

If you would like to venture away from Kampala take a look at volunteering at Uganda Lodge and in the schools and community around Ruhanga. Lots of ideas if you look at the website www.ugandalodge.com

Lovely area to stay in and full board plus comfortable accommodation will be just 30,000 per day

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
UK
Level Contributor
96 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

try Soft Power at Bujagali (near Jinja). Very well run, ethical and trustworthy.

Mentioned in this post
Jinja
Jinja
Eastern Region, Uganda
Canada
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

Hello, my husband and I lived in Kampala from Jan '07 -August '09. During our time there, I did plenty of volunteering and made some contacts with small self-help organisations, some started by Ugandans and some by urban refugees. What's your area of interest or expertise? Teaching English, educating adults, educating children, sewing, playing an instrument, coaching soccer, computer skills, health care, microfinance expertise, small business expertise, raising chickens, decorating cakes, human rights advocacy - whatever you have to share, there can be a place for you. Contact me for more info.

Mentioned in this post
Kampala
Kampala
Central Region, Uganda
7. Re: Looking for volunteer work that won't charge me $$$!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, September 05, 2010