We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kampala safety - female travelling alone

UK
12 posts
Save Topic
Kampala safety - female travelling alone

Hello,

I'm thinking of booking a trip to Kampala. I've had a look at the FCO website, which seems to pretty much suggest that so long as you use common sense it's a fairly safe city.

I just wondered if anyone has any advice for a female traveling along? The US embassy website talks a lot about dangers to women, not going anywhere at night alone (even in taxis) etc - obviously as I'm travelling alone that might be hard!

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kampala safety - female travelling alone

Without being too flippant, if people heeded the doom and gloom of Embassy Websites you would stay in bed all day.

1st up, I am a mere humble male so do not have first hand experience of the concerns that you may have.

However I regularly visit Kampala, shall be there in December again. Like ANY cities there are places it would not be advisable to go alone especially after dark.

However it is not all fraught.

You do not say what you are going to Uganda for or where you will be staying but follow the basic common sense rules and you should be OK.

If you are in a Hotel or other lodging ask them for a driver or to arrange a car and driver for you. This way you will get the real thing and a respectable outfit.

On the sexual side you will be OK. You may get the odd chancer who will come on with the chat lines but mainly a firm and polite go away will achieve the desired result. To be fair many folk will just be trying to practice their English and mean no harm but try not to get drawn into a conversation you feel uncomfortable with.

If you frequent hotel bar etc., try not to send the wrong signals and never openly wear jewelry or flash the cash.

Ugandans are very respectable and friendly people and you will love the place.

UK
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kampala safety - female travelling alone

Thanks for your reply! That's basically what I was expecting - the FCO etc always err on the side of caution.

And exactly - in London there are places I wouldn't walk alone after dark so it's just common sense.

I'm looking at going for a month next year, to volunteer with the UBC. My accommodation would be in a hostel, sharing with other vounteers and students at the university.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,815 posts
374 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kampala safety - female travelling alone

Then you will be fine with your fellow 'inmates' to watch out for you, you are not really alone.

4. Re: Kampala safety - female travelling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 12, 2009