We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and around Uganda

Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to and around Uganda

Hello all,

I am travelling to and round Uganda in early-late February, and was wondering if anyone has any advice, vaccines, getting around, places to stay, security, places to see and things to do, basic do;s and don'ts etc.

Thanks

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

garrettwyse,

How long are you planning to stay in Uganda? Do you have any specific interests? Budget? Do you wish to travel alone or with a tour operator? Obviously the primates are a big draw in Uganda: chimpanzees at Kibale National park and Gorillas in Bwindi National Park. You would need to check the availability of permits for both as February is not far off. Just a few of the other parks worth seeing are Murchison Falls, Queen Elizabeth, and Lake Mburo. How long you have to travel and whether you have any specific interests would be helpful information to provide suggestions.

safari42

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

Sorry about the delay in getting back, I have only been notified of the posting today, and thank you very much for the advice.

I am in fact going to conduct research for a series of newspaper articles about investing in small community banks in Uganda. I have invested in some and am going to write articles, funded by the Irish government, so I shall mostly be staying in Kampala, with a little travel outside to some of the rural banks where I have invested, to meet the actual people I have invested in and to see what they are doing etc.

Also hopefully I am going to Cape Town for a week at the end of my stay, very expensive to travel in afria I hear, I have bene quoted about the same price for Kampala Cape town as Irleand-Uganda.

I shall be in Uganda for about three weeks from mid-February.

I shall be travelling with one other person, and with the necessity to move about, shall not be using a travel company.

Is it expensive to hire a car, translator (would I need one at all)?

Would it be safe and easy to travel to the countryside for a few days?

Again sorry about the delay in responding, and thanks for the help,

Garrett

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

No apologies necessary! Sounds like a great assignment!

You certainly should not require a translator as the official language of Uganda is English. You'll actually find very few Ugandans today who can not speak English.

It will be safe to travel the countryside - any of the areas surrounding Kampala and Entebbe are not of concern in regards to safety. Be aware of the fact that roads and routes are not well marked and be prepared to stop for directions! Also be aware of other drivers - this should be your biggest concern - especially the buses - large and small. I call the big buses "crab buses" as they always look like they are coming at you sideways. I would hope and expect that the majority of people you encounter would be as helpful as possible.

Check the Internet for car rental companies in Kampala, Uganda. Be sure that you are renting a vehicle only (if this is your choice)as many of the companies want to rent you a vehicle and driver. You also want to be very sure that the vehicle is in good working condition - no fun being stuck in the middle of the bush with no way to make repairs.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

You also asked about vaccinations...

An International Inoculation Certificate against Yellow Fever is required when arriving from an endemic Yellow Fever area. It is highly recommended that you be inoculated against Yellow Fever as Uganda has a tropical climate and is considered a Yellow Fever risk area. It is also highly recommended that you take malaria prophylaxis.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask!

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

thats great thanks, shall digest all that, see what my plans look like when finalised and perhaps drop a quick line then

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

Have a great trip and please do let us know about it when you return!

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

Hi again Safari42 -

long time no reply and thanks for all your helpful advice so far....

my date of departure draws close and my lovely girlfriend has now decided to fly to Capetown for a couple of weeks and hopes I can get down to her once my work is finished in Uganda. Problem is, cost of flights. SAA advertise a price of about €1,000 return for this online, but when I looked at a separate search engine (Kayak) it seemed that the fare was available at a cheaper rate eg €600 or so - but I couldn't access this price online. Do you have any tips as to how to fly to Capetown and the cheapest carrier?

Thanks,

Garrett

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

Hi Garrett,

There was talk quite some time ago about a new airline flying out of Uganda - Victorian International Airlines. It was meant to be done with backing from South Africa. I haven't seen any additional information on this since hearing about it what seems like more than a year ago.

The lack of competition drives those fares up... I think SAA might be your best bet.

You could also check with Kenya Airways to see what - if anything - they could offer you.

Sorry I couldn't be more help on this; however, please do report what you find out!

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

Thanks for that great info. Had a good look around and SAA make it hard to get a good deal, a monopoly is a great thing if you are that monopoly.

However if you or anyone you know has a similar problem, have a look www.travelocity.com, I was able to get the flight at about half the price, which made a big difference, from about € 1000, down to about €550.

So away I go, thanks again

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to and around Uganda

That's great Garrett! I shall add Travelocity to my list as that's a HUGE difference. Persistence definitely pays off!

Please let us know about your trip when you get back!

All the best to you and Mimi.