We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Rental Uganda

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Auto Rental Uganda

If you have experience with this company, "Auto Rental Uganda", located on Entebbe Airport Road, After Kenjoy Super market On Najja Shopping Center Building, 3kms from Kampala City Center, please tell me how it went!

They sound great, offering me a RAV4 with sunroof, "Gold" level expert birding guide/driver and value lodging, all at a good price. The forums are full of warnings about local operators in general, so I would greatly appreciate any reply to this question. Without information specific to this company, I can't distinguish them from the great unknown.

38 replies to this topic
Roeselare, Belgium
1 post
31. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We rented a Rav4 and camping gear for 10 days. Everything was perfect. We even had a small incident: hit a tree while driving backward. ARU didn't abuse this at all. Theye gave us a more than reasonable price.

Pieter from Belgium

Diegem, Belgium
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
32. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Really ,... they are the best... good drivers, safe cars. I did already 2 trips of 15 days with them and never problems, good prices, very kindly people, Professionals!! Drivers knows everything about wildklife and local people. I can surely recommended them !!!

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
33. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Rented a Land Cruiser Prado for 3 weeks from Auto Rental Uganda.

Shamim was very quick to respond when we were arranging the booking and met us at the airport with the car. We were also provided with a map, guide book and phone with local sim along with phone numbers for Shamim and others with Auto Rental Uganda.

Whenever we had any questions about any aspect of our trip, all we had to do was call Shamim and she would either be able to directly advise us or find someone else who could.

We had a wonderful few weeks in Uganda and I would definitely recommend anyone taking a trip to Uganda to talk to Shamim in Auto Rental Uganda.

Edited: 5:42 pm, September 26, 2017
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
86 reviews
34. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I've been meaning to write a review for a little while, as after a great deal of research we decided to do a self drive tour of all of Uganda back in April and I would choose this company again for a return visit.

Shamim (and her lovely family) run a decent outfit here, they meet you at the airport and if needed they accompany you to the UWA HQ in Kampala to assist with collecting gorilla trek permits (we'd arranged these privately in advance, but Shamim helped speed up the process of collecting them). They were also there waiting for us at the end of trip when returning the car to Entebbe.

We had a RAV4 that was ideal for the two of us for all our driving and safaris. We actually had a blow out during our rental, and the situation was sufficiently resolved with a few phone calls and driving on the spare to the nearest town for tyre replacements. The local phone, guide book and map are a useful addition to the vehicle. As long as you know to check for any tyre weaknesses and know to prepay some balance onto the local phone provided, then you'll have no problems renting with Auto Rental Uganda.

Stuttgart, Germany
1 post
35. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We have also had very good experiences with Auto Rental Uganda and especially with Shamim and Alex. For our round trip through Uganda in August we have rented a Toyata Rav4 for 3 weeks. Everything went very well, from the enquiry to the booking to the delivery of the car. Emails were answered quickly and the price was by far the best offer for us. The car and the camping equipment were in good condition. In addition, you will receive a mobile phone as well as maps and a current travel guide. The booking of the permits for Gorilla Trekking went off without a hitch. We are especially grateful for the spontaneous organization of documents for crossing the border to Rwanda. During our trip we had two problems with the car. But Alex was always available, so we were able to quickly organize a mechanic and solve the problems. All in all, we were very satisfied and would always book a car again at Auto Rental Uganda. Thanks again to Alex and Shamim for everything.

1 post
36. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Last month I did a 2-week road trip through Auto-Rental Uganda. It was an experience of a lifetime. The office staff are very involved and guide you every step of the way. Our driver was a lovely man who made the driving part of the journey so much fun. He looked after us, he shared information about the culture In both Uganda and Rwanda and really listened to what we wanted from our trip. Overall, amazing! If I had the time and money I would definitely do something with the company again.

Siobhan

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
37. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Me and my wife have just finished a 2 week self drive around Uganda using Auto Rental Uganda and we could not fault them. Shamim dropped the car off miles away from their office to where we were staying in Kampala at precisely the agreed time. She was extremely kind and explained the vehicle and the mobile phone provided which came in handy for advice for when we got clamped a week later later in Mbarara (watch out for this if you go there). The car itself was excellent, in very good working condition to get around the occasionally very poor conditioned road surfaces that Uganda has to offer. Overall the holiday was one of the best we have had and the rental ease and support provided by Shamim and co went a long way to help this. Not only do they provide a great service for a reasonable price but they are extremely grateful for people visiting their country. We would recommend Auto Rental Uganda to anyone who comes to this great country.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
38. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Todo problemas. No pudimos pagar con tarjeta casi 1.000 dolares. Tampoco con billetes de 100 dolares "antiguos" que si aceptaron en los demas hoteles. El coche tenia las ruedas lisas. La conductora Leticia siempre intentaba timar con la gasolina. Incluso intento timar a unos vendedores locales de jenjibre. Un dia se fue mas de 5 horas sin avisar dejandonos tirados en un hotel perdido en la montaña. Discutia todo y de malas maneras. El ultimo dia se empeño en llenar el deposito, diciendo que era necesario. Llegamos al aeropuerto von 3/4 de tanque. NO RECOMENDABLE.

Reply to: Auto Rental Uganda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted