We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Rental Uganda

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Rental Uganda

If you have experience with this company, "Auto Rental Uganda", located on Entebbe Airport Road, After Kenjoy Super market On Najja Shopping Center Building, 3kms from Kampala City Center, please tell me how it went!

They sound great, offering me a RAV4 with sunroof, "Gold" level expert birding guide/driver and value lodging, all at a good price. The forums are full of warnings about local operators in general, so I would greatly appreciate any reply to this question. Without information specific to this company, I can't distinguish them from the great unknown.

37 replies to this topic
Derby, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I cannot recommend Auto Rental Uganda highly enough! Their service has been exceptional from the moment I emailed an enquiry. They even sent us a picture of the car when I was unsure what I was getting (roof up and down!). They were very flexible with our requirements and very accommodating. We had the car for 17 days in Uganda and this was by far the aspect I was most worried about on the trip. However everything ran perfectly smoothly. Thanks to everyone at Autorental Uganda, especially Alexis!

From Harry, Jim and Chris

Abu Dhabi, United...
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We rented a landcruiser for two weeks. The car was in excellent condition!

We recommend it 100%.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I just returned from a 2 week trip with Auto Rental Uganda, and can literally rave about their services. My trip was derailed before it even began, when my airline involuntarily bumped me from my confirmed flight. Since I could not change my gorilla permit date, we had to rework my itinerary to get to the gorillas on time. That was only the first hurdle of many that played out. Alex and the team displayed wisdom and flexibility with subsequent issues. How they kept me going, I don't know. There were many small problems that we got past, any of which could have been a big problem without the ARU team in my corner. I would not dream of returning to Uganda without using my new friends at Auto Rental Uganda.

Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Thanks for this information

Howard

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I submitted a detailed follow up last week upon my return home, but it has not shown up. To briefly summarize, I was very impressed with Auto Rental Uganda. They talked a good talk and walked a good walk. They even scrambled to salvage my entire trip plan when KLM involuntarily bumped me from my flight to Entebee (and did not notify me). I had to buy a new plane ticket for a later date, and I was jammed up by my inflexible gorilla permit. Alex at ARU met with me and my birding guide/driver upon my eventual arrival. While I worked on getting to Uganda at the last minute, ARU worked with my lodging providers to set up a revised schedule that got to my gorilla permit location in time. This was service above and beyond the call of duty, and it enabled me to salvage as much as possible of my trip plan.

It was invaluable to have a team on the ground in Uganda, because my airline troubles did not end with the bumped flight. When I finally got to Uganda, my luggage was still in Kenya. Though the airline promised to deliver it to me that evening, they did not do so. They then promised to deliver it the next morning, but this did not happen either, and I had to leave to go south, with no time to spare. Alex collected my luggage when it did finally arrive, and drove south to meet me at a point along the way. Africa seems to have more than its fair share of travel hiccups, and I found it absolutely essential to have an agent familiar with the challenges that auto travel in Uganda entailed. I spent over two weeks on the road in Uganda, and I was very grateful for ARU each and every day of my trip. I was so pleased that I engaged the car and driver/guide for an extra few days at the end of my trip. I had initially planned on joining up with a Red Chili excursion, but my experience with Auto Rental Uganda was so exemplary that I jumped ship, so to speak, and finished my days in Uganda with the same car hire and driver/guide that I began my trip with.

In short, services rendered by Auto Rental Uganda were absolutely top flight--the kind of service that generally costs a dear premium. Another thing that helped me on the ground: I had the option to upgrade my room at the lodges where I stayed. I took advantage of this option to enjoy the comforts of larger, en suite rooms at several locations. I had a great time in Uganda, but it was more physically challenging than I had anticipated. This made creature comforts more valuable to me than usual, and it was good to find that I had options at the end of the day. This kind of flexibility is just one more reason that it makes sense to use ARU for your transportation needs. I am usually a do-it-yourself traveler, but I have never been happier to have an in-country partner than on the trip from which I have just returned. ARU made all the difference between a two week debacle and a real pleasure.

1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Thank you so much for your great service. I am so grateful that they have returned my i pad as I have left it in the car....much appreciated for your help. I would highly recommend Auto Rental Uganda...a very professional service...

Many thanks.

Leuven, Belgium
2 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We would love to recommend Auto rental Uganda! We had the chance to travel 8 days in the end of January 2016 with our guide Alex WHO WAS GREAT!. Overall we had a great experience with the company. We found the company through tripadviser and got in touch by mail. Since we had limited time for the trip and wanted to get the best out of it Alex helped to plan the best itinerary, respecting our wishes and giving reliable personal advise. We booked in advance but only needed to pay the gorilla permits in advance.

The day we arrived in Entebbe, the Uganda Car rental team, including the owner (the lovely wife of Alex) was picking us up with a warm welcome and payment was set. We felt comfortable to pay them personally.

From then on the trip started and we enjoyed every single minute. Uganda is a great country, but Alex made the very best of it, taking us to all the nicest spots you can not find on your own, arranging nice excursion with good local and english speaking guides and bringing us to the most beautiful lodges he recommended. Besides a safe driver and good guide, Alex is a really great, warm and funny person. We had a lot of fun, became even friends but he also kept a sort of profi distance and gave us the privacy we sometimes needed in a discrete way. He is absolutely professional and reliable. someone to count on! We do miss him and Uganda and warmly recommend anyone who is looking for a fantastic experience in Uganda.

Laura and Tomas from Belgium

Sacramento...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I just got back from a trip (March 30-April 5, 2016) to Uganda using Auto rental Uganda. I am a tour guide in the United States, so I am a bit picky about the quality and services provided to me by tour guides around the world. I asked for a specific type of tour, meaning I wanted to experience a day in the lives of people in the area. I wanted to stay with locals and work with them and see what their typical day is like. I asked 4-5 companies about this and Auto rental Uganda is the only one that got back to me and was able to customize a program to fit my desires. I was able to milk a cow and plant maize by hand in the fields and so on. I stayed at local's houses and helped cook the meals. We experienced locals- places where tourists don't go. We went to local markets for food and other goods. We visited a school for the disabled and were able to help them with some of their needs. Alex, my guide, was fantastic. His driving skills, as well as his knowledge of the area was exactly what I wanted. I ask a lot of questions and he had the answers. He was also flexible as I wanted to add a few things along the way as I got to know the area. They were competitively priced and I would never try to drive there in Uganda as they drive on the opposite side of the road and Kampala is a MESS to drive in. I also had a few other things I needed to do there in Uganda, which wasn't part of the tour, but he was able to accommodate those needs. My bucket list item of seeing the gorillas in the wild was finally achieved!! He even fulfilled another desire, which was to get into the Congo. I had kidded him about that as I have a competition with my brother to see who can visit the most countries. He grabbed me and said he had a surprise for me even though we had another place to be in 15 minutes. He started driving and within 5 minutes we were in the Congo. We took some pics, played with some kids and got to our meeting on time. I would highly recommend Auto Rental Uganda for your tours. They have a wide variety of tours to fit most every need- from customized tours to following a set itinerary as well as camping or hotels.

Beni, Democratic...
1 post
Save Reply
19. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We rented a Rav4 with all the camping gear for 3 weeks. The car was in excellent condition. Alex and Shamim are very helpful. Very professional service. I would highly recommend Auto Rental Uganda !

Lindau, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
20. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I did a 3 week roadtrip in march 2017 with a car rented at Auto rental uganda and i didn't regret! We had a good valued car and a great accompany over all the 20 days. They showed a lot of care and gave us useful tips for being on the road. They offered also airport pickup. A highlight was a local traditional dinner invitation at the mum of one team member. I can really recommend this car rental and wouldn't hesitate to book a car there again.

Reply to: Auto Rental Uganda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted