We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auto Rental Uganda

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Auto Rental Uganda

If you have experience with this company, "Auto Rental Uganda", located on Entebbe Airport Road, After Kenjoy Super market On Najja Shopping Center Building, 3kms from Kampala City Center, please tell me how it went!

They sound great, offering me a RAV4 with sunroof, "Gold" level expert birding guide/driver and value lodging, all at a good price. The forums are full of warnings about local operators in general, so I would greatly appreciate any reply to this question. Without information specific to this company, I can't distinguish them from the great unknown.

37 replies to this topic
Fort Portal, Uganda
Level Contributor
613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I have not seen this company in Kibale National Park , but , we can wait for other opinion s and Trip advisers moments .

If you fail to get better comments , then

i will recommend you to other car hire companies with excellent driver guide that will help your dream come true.

E.g. ROAD TRIP and many others

in Uganda .

Thanks

Howard

howardjapan@yahoo.co.uk

Watford, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I used them for 4 or 5 days in June of this year for a business trip from Entebbe - Kampala - Jinja - Entebbe. I found the service from the admin side great - they were willing to accept 50% payment on collection of the vehicle and the balance on completion of the trip (i never like to pay for such services upfront). The driver was good, safe on the road and helpful with good local knowledge. The car was exactly what you'd expect from a 8-10yr old Rav4, slightly tatty around the edges but perfectly serviceable (they may well have smarter vehicles available but this was fine for my needs).

No idea about 'expert birding guides' as mine was a work trip, similarly i sorted out my own accommodation so can't help there. I'll use them again next time time i'm in the country.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Watford, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I used them for 4 or 5 days in June of this year for a business trip from Entebbe - Kampala - Jinja - Entebbe. I found the service from the admin side great - they were willing to accept 50% payment on collection of the vehicle and the balance on completion of the trip (i never like to pay for such services upfront). The driver was good, safe on the road and helpful with good local knowledge. The car was exactly what you'd expect from a 8-10yr old Rav4, slightly tatty around the edges but perfectly serviceable (they may well have smarter vehicles available but this was fine for my needs).

No idea about 'expert birding guides' as mine was a work trip, similarly i sorted out my own accommodation so can't help there. I'll use them again next time time i'm in the country.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Thank you soooo much for your reply. The only thing keeping me from booking with these people was my inherent mistrust of wiring $ to a local outfitter. I would rather use locals, so that my tourist $ may actually make a difference, but common sense and respected guide books say don't wire $ ever. I did not realize these folks did not want $ until I get there, and then on a 50-50 upfront and after basis. That is another help in making a decision.

Even tripadvisor forums promote rip off artists on occasion, one of which costed me a lot of $ 2 years ago. My scam radar has been pretty alert after that unpleasant episode. Then there are the scare tactics used by the well respected outfitters--I have never seen so many dire predictions from widely scattered sources. I have no doubt that there are plenty of scams going in Uganda. No matter where you are in the world, the one-bad-apple rule prevails. Independent verification and due diligence are essential tools wherever I go. This country, this continent even, has so many different operators. Without these forums, I could not muster enough trust to use locals, and that would be sad. Forum participants--we have to give back to this system or go back to the old, blind ways. Keep those replys coming! And thanks again, Luther, for your post.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1 post
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We travelled with them for 18 days in Dec 2014. We wired the required 50% and got everything as promised. Our guide, Guma Alex was great, he is reliable, flexible, knowledgeable and fun. We really had a perfect trip with Guma, you can be totally sure. If you'd like any more details you can e-mail me and we can either write or speak. Regards, Simone

Aalter, Belgium
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

hello , you have to do that with auto travel uganda with alex. 3 reasons : he is a very good driver , he knows everywhere the way , he speaks the local languages , and he knows all the hotels from expansive to cheap.

so don't hesitate , travel with him. we did it 2 years ago and this year so we are sure that alex is the best choice. Have a good trip

Verbier, Switzerland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

I travelled this summer with the perfect caring driver/guide. For birding you can get a special guide in every park. I know a very good one for shoebill, which I saw twice. Our driver had a strong 4X4 with a huge opening roof. He knows well all places and drives very well, which is precious in Uganda. He asks no money in advance. Send me a pm, if you need his contact or info about accommodation, place to see birds. I often travel to Uganda, know well the country.

Memphis, Tennessee...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Hello,

I've been traveling for one week in august 2015 with Auto Rental Uganda in the West part of the country. The whole trip was very pleasant and safe, and the owner organised everything before we left Kampala (Gorilla pass, accomodation, lunch and diner time...). Moreover, the company's runner are young and really experienced ! I totally recommand this company !

Have a nice trip thru these beautiful lands !

Marti

Barcelona, Spain
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

We rented the car for two weeks. They treated us great, we had no problem and they put all the facilities such as processing permits for gorillas, help plan the trip, all as volunteers. We recommend it 100%. When we return to Uganda again we will rent a car with Autorental Uganda.

We do a trip from Kampala to Ginja, Murchison Falls, Queen Elisabeth, Bwindi and then to the border with Tanzania.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auto Rental Uganda

Many thanks to those who answered my call for experience with this local company. Your help enabled me to trust this operator and take the plunge. I will post how it went when I return home in December. The people I am working with at Auto Rental Uganda have conveyed a great deal of youthful enthusiasm, and it is infectious. All signs point toward a good time, but I will let the tripadvisor community read about how it played out.

Reply to: Auto Rental Uganda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted