We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

I'm in the US, and the pills are relatively expensive compared to the cost in Uganda. I think you can purchase anti-malarial pills at the Entebbe airport-- is that right? Or should I just purchase them online? And if so, where?

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
43,004 posts
533 reviews
502 helpful votes
1. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Pills in the US and Europe can be relatively expensive but at least you are are assured that:-

a. they are genuine and not fake.

b. They are full doseage and not doctored or tampered with.

Malaria is the biggest killer in Africa. Why take risks just to save a few $$ on a trip costing $1000s more?

Get them from your pharmacy at home.

Edited: 6 years ago
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
25 reviews
23 helpful votes
2. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

http://www.malariajournal.com/content/13/1/139

Yikes!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,508 posts
100 reviews
141 helpful votes
3. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

I purchased some Malarone from Costco in 2012. That was the cheapest I found. (I got some again this year but it was covered by my health insurance - Atovaquone-Proguanil - is the generic version I got - $21). Along with the possibility of getting bad drugs in EBB, you are supposed to start them before you get into the Malaria area - another thing to consider. This site might help?

http://www.goodrx.com/atovaquone-proguanil

My husband has taken doxy, which is very inexpensive.

Edited: 6 years ago
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
4. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Thanks for your responses. I was hoping that the clinic in the EBB airport would be reputable, and not sell fake pills. Of course, I'm interested in getting it for the cheapest price I can, and my thought was that-- since the demand for Malaria pills is greater in Uganda than it is here, it would drive the prices down..

I like the doxy option, but then again, I'm unsure about taking antibiotics, it seems really destructive.

Kampala, Uganda
Level Contributor
555 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Better come with your pills from the USA

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
22 posts
6. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Okay, message clear! :) I'll get a prescription here, then.

MLB
South West England...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
95 reviews
65 helpful votes
7. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

I've just bought the generic, instead of the brand, and saved 66%. I have no idea why I never thought of doing this before!

No idea which clinic you are referring to at the airport though.

Anyone reading this from the UK, might like to know that Asda (Walmart company) is selling for £1 each, with appointment, no Dr's prescription needed.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

I've just bought mine from Tesco pharmacy (UK) and was charged about £1.37 per tablet for the generic version without a prescription, all you need to do is fill out a health questionnaire. It was roughly double to purchase it using the prescription plus a £10 fee to the doctor to write the prescription.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
150 reviews
166 helpful votes
9. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Malarone is the easiest to take without psychotic episode possibilities, and is now generic in North America. As much as it might be 'in demand' in Africa, one doesn't know the efficacy and most can't afford it regardless of price. African strain of malaria is particularly lethal so not worth risking. Even with anti-malarials, one wants to avoid mosquito bites as much as possible. It is not 100% avoidable. Also daytime mossies may cause dengue fever, night time - malaria. Cover up is the easiest solution. There are altitudes and coolness where malaria carrying mosquitos are not around, however, in Uganda, it is difficult to arrange your itinerary to reduce the number of days one needs to take the meds. In other places of the world, you can build your itinerary by altitude and reduce the number of days and thus the cost, but not so easy in Africa. Have two less Starbucks coffees and ensure you have sufficient coverage for a life threatening, or recurring disease.

MLB
South West England...
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
95 reviews
65 helpful votes
10. Re: Cheapest Place to Purchase Anti-Malarial Pills?
Save

Reading Girl - that's useful information. My dispensary at surgery, offered tablets at £1.12 each, without need to see GP.

Always worth checking the alternatives!

Get answers to your questions about Uganda
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.