We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

nyc
Level Contributor
14,919 posts
Save Topic
Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

Came across this that might be of interest to some,

http://africaanswerman.com/?p=9186

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,408 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

>>Sea-lon. I am going to start a campaign against folks who can fly from SFO for only a $100 more than I can get to Uganda from UK. I just paid £630 for mine which at 1.60/£ is $1017. T'aint fair.

Ha! Good luck with that. This flight was cheaper than the flight I was trying to book to the UK in August by quite a bit so I decided to buy now even though we're months and months away from the flight.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

kittycat. I think you are absolutely right. On all counts!

If you get a problem in Uganda just holler. I shall be near Kisoro until 26th.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

i think it's a bit nervy to call people's actions hypocritical based on the limited knowledge you have of their overall actions. none of us knows what anyone else does or doesn't do in their private lives, but what we choose to share here.

Mfuwe, if you have no issues, that's great, FOR YOU. why the constant challenging of others' opinions that differ from yours as "hypocritical"? You have no clue what or whom another person has boycotted, pledged, aided, volunteered, supported, donated, taught, etc. I have noticed people are only "right" when their opinion dovetails with yours.

If someone does not feel free to come here and express concern without fear of ridicule, they will not come here.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

I am not going to argue with you siouxxie. You have your views and I have mine. I am simply re-assuring people like Sea-lon, Kittycat and others etc., who may be put off going to this wonderful country by the sensationalising campaign, that their trip should go ahead so that they can see for themselves and form their own judgement and not be canon fodder for others.

Have I used the word hypocritical? I don't think so!

I will agree that, like you, I have no idea of what others are doing or going to do, taught or supported. It makes no difference to the advice I have given what they may have done.

<I have noticed people are only "right" when their opinion dovetails with yours.>

Well look closer! Museveni 's opinion does not dovetail with mine. Is he right or wrong?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,428 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

as i expected.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

Theres no way id go to this homophobic land, ile spend my cash in the uk, Europe, us anywhere that upholds expected international rights, shame is its the poor people that suffer not the mad right wing loony president there un Uganda.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

I share your sentiments 100%. However, please visit Uganda because I couldn't bare the thought of you're losing your money,and besides you'll love your trip to Uganda. You may not have the opportunity to visit Uganda again. Musseveni, Uganda's President just announced that all poachers would be shot, he's obviously doing this to regain favor with his foreign owners who have suspended aid.

Edited: 2:40 pm, March 07, 2014
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

I meant to say donors.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
1 post
127 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

People blame Museveni but do not forget sources say 90% of the Ugandan population wanted him to sign the Bill. So for him it was either sign or resign.

I really think everyone should still go on their trips to Uganda, but try to discuss these issues with the locals and make them think about it in different ways. Most people here have not heard anything else (from church, elders, papers, etc) that gay people are dangerous, so without any other sources of information or arguments, what should they really think?

It is a sad signment and a step in the wrong direction but it may also be the starting point for change. It is not like the gay community had a good time before, so they may have to walk through a windy storm at the moment, but with all the new support from abroad, they may get resources to be stronger than ever.

So keep supporting and keep argumenting!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
892 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Likely Boycott on travel to Uganda due to LGBT Law

I won't presume to tell anyone whether or not to boycott Uganda, but would like to relate our own experience with this issue. Before we visited Uganda three years ago we read of the then current moves to pass laws even more draconian than those recently implemented. Also, my colleagues in Kampala were becoming increasingly concerned about the safety of some of their local and expat gay employees.

To avoid possibly ruining our holiday, my wife made me promise not to bring up the issue with anyone. However, after about a week traveling together in the bush, our guide Morris asked me directly what I thought about homosexuality. This led to an extensive discussion, and I tried to emphasize the scientific data that one's sexual orientation was programmed very early and was not a choice. It appeared that Morris equated homosexuality with pedophilia, a misperception, along with many others, that has been promulgated by evangelical preachers from the US and one that we could refute with ample data. My wife and I also spoke our many gay friends and relatives who are fine, socially responsible people and good parents. Morris seemed to take this all in and said he would have to rethink his position.

I don't know whether this discussion had any lasting effect on Morris, but knowing him from two weeks together I am inclined to think that it did.

Get answers to your questions about Uganda